Friday, October 23, 2009

Glum or Glad?

Some people spend a lot of money chasing a smile. I find them lying around right where I live, if I look up! About four weeks ago, a physician told me I needed a biopsy on a suspicious lump in my body. I spent a few days being awfully glum, feeling very mortal and afraid. After I processed the information, I began to realize that being morose would not change a thing, that fear only robs me of the joy that the Lord provides for me day by day. Several friends prayed for me on different occasions. Today, I can say – despite the pending procedure – that joy is back.

There is such delight in ordinary things.

• Today a young Mommy from our congregation sent me a note about her kids, ages 4 and 6, who were present at a recent baptism. She wrote, “When G. and J. emerged from their last few minutes in the tub. They were talking back and forth and your name was mentioned, so I asked them what they are talking about. ‘We were playing 'Pastor Jerry dunkin' ya in the church tub! He's crazy!’" Now that’s a reason to smile, isn’t it?

• Yesterday I was privileged to spend an hour with ministry colleagues. After laughing at our foibles, we got down to the business of prayer. Oh, what joy!

• Then, a family from my church who is struggling through a crisis, came by and I had the joy of sharing their struggles, offering advice, and most of all, just loving them. Does it get better than that?
Situations will arise that attempt to steal our joy all the time. Bodies age. Temptations knock on our door. People disappoint us. Consequences of past choices come collecting their due. There is choice, disciple. You can be glum or you can be glad! I’m not talking about denial, nor I am talking about escape. Joy is a gift of God to those who will receive it. The Bible says it is our choice! "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." (James 1:2-3, NIV)
When we mistakenly assume we are in control, when we try to usurp the throne of God, inevitably our joy will be lost to pressure, people, and problems! If we bring to mind that God rules, that He has a plan, that nothing that is happening to us right now is a surprise to Him – faith grows and with it comes joy. God urges us, through the prophet Isaiah, to make the choice to trust, fixed on His absolute rule. Take a look. “Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please." (Isaiah 46:8-10, NIV)
Here’s a word from the Word. Let it draw a smile to your face as it rebirths joy in your heart.
"Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy, … And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (Philippians 1:3-6, NLT)
_________________________

It's time I started dancing
over all these graves!
It's time I gave You, Oh my Lord,
the highest praise!
It's time to lift my voice,
Oh and beg for this blessing to fall!

I want the joy of the Lord to come down!
I want the joy of the Lord to fall now!
I want the joy of the Lord in my life.
I want the joy of the Lord to lift me,
I want the joy of the Lord to change me,
I want the joy of the Lord in my life!

I Want The Joy
© 2002 River Oaks Music Company (a div. of EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Rita Springer

PS - I return to my physician on Monday. Prayers deeply appreciated.
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: