Friday, August 14, 2009

Contentment - Elsie style?

For years Bordens, the maker of dairy products, featured a smiling cow named Elsie as their marketing logo. She was alleged to be a 'contented cow.' Well fed, safely pastured, and living in the herd, she supposedly produced better milk for Bordens. As I was thinking about contentment today, that the image that popped into my mind. A happy cow laying in a sunny pasture, chewing her cud! If that's the definition, it is no wonder I have difficulty finding contentment in life. I confess to being discontent with my current situation. I am called and fulfilled in the work of ministry, but know that many things within the church which I serve as Pastor remain incomplete, unresolved, or in need of attention. And, then too, I am painfully aware that personally I am a work in progress; with skills yet to develop, discoveries yet to be made, sins to be conquered. In this, I am discontent.

Some people appear to live in a state of perpetual bliss; untroubled by the weeds in the yard, their incompletely 'hidden' sins, or the messes they leave in their wake. Is such happy 'contentment' a good thing? In a sense, yes, for those people are easy to be around, making few demands. Their 'live and let live' attitude invites more friendships! But, I don't want that kind of 'contentment' because it is actually complacency!

The high calling of Christ invites us to engage ourselves in the pursuit of excellence in all things, with a holy discontent compelling us to contend with self and Satan. Jesus spoke to a complacent, self-satisfied church with stern rebuke. He said, "Since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me-gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference." (Revelation 3:16-19, NLT) So, what is contentment?

The Word indicates that it is acceptance of what God provides!
We can be broken-hearted over our circumstance and still be contented in the grace of God that comforts us! We can be facing critics on every side and still be contented with His promises to walk with us. We can be confronted with financial straits and yet be contented with the little we have because of the assurance that He will provide what we need, if not what we want. We can be fighting the very demons of Hell and experience contentment because He said, "I am with always, even to the ends of the earth!"

Paul, though a Spirit-filled man, went through life's up's and down's. Some days he was hero (even thought to be a god by some pagans!) and some days he chased out of town like a criminal by the local authorities. Sometimes he enjoyed the esteem of the churches he taught and sometimes they ignored him and followed smooth talkers! He felt the joy and the pain equally. Yet, his life remained constantly committed to the Christ he loved because his true contentment was not circumstantial, but fixed on a Person greater than this world.

Here is his testimony. "Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. ... You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus. Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. " (Philippians 4:11-13, 19-20, The Message)

Is your contentment fixed on Christ Jesus or in your experience? How do you know? Do you think that God is good when life is good and that God is unworthy of your love when things go wrong? Do you do what is right when you are at peace, but ignore things like worship, prayer, or Scripture intake when you're life is full of problems? A Christ-centered person will experience the full range of emotions and yet keep his commitment intact, for he will be contented with the love of His Savior.

Sorry, Elsie, you're not a good model for contentment as you lay chewing your cud. You just don't know any better! I do! I know there is more than the herd, the food, the safety. There is God who calls me higher and walks with me.

Here's a word from the Word for this day.
"Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" (Lamentations 3:21-24, NLT)
"But godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6, KJV) ______________________

No comments: