Monday, July 27, 2009

Ripples through time

About 70 years ago, Walter Scott walked down the sawdust trail at a tent revival in Truesdale, Iowa to accept Christ. A Danish immigrant who was fond of his liquor and quick to swing a fist, he was transformed! His conversion was solidified when a terrible automobile accident left him unable to farm. Members of the local Assembly helped out and kept his farm in order while he healed. The effect from the loving service offered by that anonymous (to me, anyway!) group of disciples ripples through time. Grandpa Scott's decision meant that my own father was brought face to face with Jesus, and made his own decision to embrace Christ as Lord. Thus, I was raised in a home where the highest priority was loving and serving God. As a child I obeyed the Spirit and received Christ as Lord. My children, early on, were taught the the knowledge of the Holy One and each has made a decision to trust Christ and are pursuing His will in their lives. And now... my grandsons are being trained to pray, to trust, to look to eternity. The long line of influence ripples through time, across miles, and into eternity because of the life of a man that my children never knew, Walter Scott!

What effect will ripple through time from your life? Positive, joyful, encouraging, life giving actions? Critical, embittering, crippling choices? Uniting or dividing words? Everyone of us effects the world of which we are a part. Often we have no idea whose life will feel the ripples that come from something we say and/or do!

Paul, writing to the church in Corinth, wanted them to realize the ripples into the community from their fellowship. A man who claimed to be one of them was living in an immoral relationship with his step-mother. Even in the licentiousness of the Roman Empire, that was a scandal. The apostle wrote to that church: “Your flip and callous arrogance in these things bothers me. You pass it off as a small thing, but it's anything but that. Yeast, too, is a "small thing," but it works its way through a whole batch of bread dough pretty fast.” (1 Corinthians 5:6, The Message) This man's immorality, left unchecked, would spread through the entire church destroying the work of God and disgracing Christ.

Influence that ripples out into the lives of others does not require that we shout our message or overwhelm the world! Salt is a critically importance ingredient in so much of our food, but it doesn’t take much! Light is a powerful influence. Put a brightly colored rug in front of a sunlight filled door. It will fade quickly! Plants bend toward the source of light. Jesus reminds us to be like "salt and light." He says, "You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. You are the light of the world—like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:13-16, NLT)

Keep in mind that what you do is creating a culture. Make it one of excellence!

“Heavenly Father, may a ripple of grace follow me today.
Let my conversation be full of grace, by life marked by compassion.
Create a wholeness in me that lifts the hearts of those pass.
Thank you for those who have influenced me.
Be honored by my thoughts, words, and actions.
Jesus, I pray in Your Holy Name.”

____________

I would be true,
For there are those who trust me;
I would be pure,
For there are those who care;
I would be strong,
For there is much to suffer;
I would be brave,
For there is much to dare!

I would be friend of all,
The foe, the friendless;
I would be giving,
And forget the gift;
I would be humble,
For I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh,
And love, and lift!

I Would Be True
Walter, Howard Arnold / Peek, Joseph Yates © Public Domain

No comments: