Thursday, July 23, 2009

Contending with Humility

NOVA, a news documentary program on PBS TV, aired a program called,
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial.” It told the story of the fight in Dover, PA public schools in 2005 over the teaching of Darwinian theory of the origin of the species. Once again, Christians were not portrayed in a very attractive light! Lacking first-hand information, I cannot say if that was because of biased reporting. It did seem to me that those Believers who were elected to the school board, who pursued the goal of bringing an alternative theory of Man’s origins to the classroom, were often very unwise. The Christians who flexed their political muscle showed a lack of genuine humility as they contended for what they believe to be the truth.

I felt the sting of conscience as I remembered my own struggles with public school teachers and principals 15 years ago. In the heat of ‘battle,’ I sometimes failed to remain as ‘harmless as a dove’ as Jesus taught. In one instance, my daughters then in 7th grade, came home to tell about being “instructed” about the proper use of a flavored condom quite graphically with a banana as a prop by high-school aged peer facilitators! I felt then and still believe that the topic and presentation was inappropriate for a group of middle-schoolers. But, I regret that I immediately adopted a posture of hostility towards the school’s officials that hindered open dialogue that might have led to greater understanding and lasting change. Instead, in my ‘moral crusade’ I grasped for a place of power that would force immediate change. Short-term, I was successful, but I doubt my fiery letters and threats changed any minds. Most tragic of all, I am sure I did not present Jesus Christ in a winsome loving way to those that came under my verbal assaults! Oh, Lord, I repent and ask your grace!

In an increasingly secular culture, those who love God and His Truth find themselves at odds with policies, laws, and attitudes of the majority. In many situations it is not just about a preference, it is about a basic truth. The questions are real and potentially divisive!
  • Did God create the world or did the earth and her inhabitants emerge from random events?
  • Is life sacred and therefore to be protected or may a woman choose to abort her unborn child?
  • Is marriage a covenant for a man and woman or should we celebrate a formal union of same-sex couples?
  • What does compassion for the poor involve and how should compassion shape public policies, if at all?
  • Is war a just response to assure our standard of living?

In defense of what we believe to be ‘the Truth,’ disciples of Christ are often quick to take up ‘natural’ tools of conflict: anger, power, and shouting loudly. This becomes more tempting when the positions we adopt, based on our understanding of the Bible as the revealed Word of God, are ignored, mocked, or marginalized. In such situations we must commit ourselves to what James teaches us. "If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom." (James 3:13, NLT) In Matthew 10, there is a lengthy passage in which Jesus explains to His disciples that they will live at odds with the world. He warns that total commitment to His ways will even ‘set a man against his father,’ something that was foreign to the culture of His day that revered elders! He instructed them to live humbly, even under such pressure. “Stay alert. This is hazardous work I’m assigning you. You’re going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don’t call attention to yourselves. Be as cunning as a snake, inoffensive as a dove. … And don’t worry about what you’ll say or how you’ll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words." (Matthew 10: 16, 19-20, The Message)

Disciple, truth is offensive. We must not shrink of holding onto what the Word teaches even in the face of attacks. We should not think that we are failing to be Christ-like if others in our family, workplace, or community become angry when we live the Truth. (Be careful students of the Word. Many proclaim a ‘truth’ that is merely their preference or their mistaken understanding.) But, we must always seek to ‘speak the Truth in love.’

Here’s a word from the Word. Ponder it and let it shape your engagement with your world. "Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone." (Colossians 4:5-6, NLT)

_________________

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill;
O may it all my powr's engage
To do my Master's will!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall forever die.

A Charge To Keep I Have

Wesley, Charles / Mason, Lowell© Public Domain
______________________

No comments: