Friday, June 19, 2009

“Don’t frustrate your kids!”

While looking for a book on the shelves in my office a couple of days ago, I came upon a book my son, Sean, prepared for me as gift at Christmas a couple of years ago. In it, he recalled events and moments from his childhood. Being the sentimental sap I am, tears stung my eyes as I read through it again. You know what stood out to me? The fact that he remembered little stuff- breakfast together on Saturday, getting to wear one of my crosses to church, getting bad hot chocolate at Pinky’s Café. (There’s a story there, but no time here to tell it!) I didn’t get to be a good Dad in his eyes by being Super-Dad one or two weeks each year. He didn’t put the trip to Disney in his book. He didn’t write about big, expensive gifts. What he remembered and celebrated was that I was there for him, consistently, fairly, all the time!

Because it will be Father’s Day this coming Sunday, I want to take this opportunity to encourage all those Dads who read “Coffeebreak” to embrace the challenge and high calling of fathering, and to do it in a way that honors God and blesses your kids. Being a good Dad will require constantly adjusting your schedule, re-setting priorities, and living with integrity! Nothing disillusions a child more than the dawning realization that Dad does not keep his word, that he talks a much better Christian game than he lives! More than a few times I’ve counseled a teenager through a rough time when they are ready to throw away their faith because they see the yawning gap that exists between the faith their father professes and the life he lives!

Dad, does that mean you have to be perfect? Not at all. It does mean that you have to work at growing in Christ. It also demands that when you get it wrong, you admit it – to the Lord first and then to your family. Real confession of our sins and failure, offered without excuse, demonstrates honesty and because it is so painful, helps to keep us from doing it again!

The Bible says, "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4, NIV) The Message says, "Fathers, don’t exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master."

I will always be Dad, discipling my children even though the youngest is now 27 years of age and a continent away. I am no longer responsible for their discipline, but I am there for them, still offering advice, still blazing a trail for them to follow. My Dad blazed a trail for me and since his death I feel a keen loss. Another friend, who is my age, lost his Dad, too. As we were talking about Dad’s, Mark remarked, “You miss be able to call up the Captain and ask, ‘So, Dad, what do you think?” I miss that, too!

Now my aim is that as long as God gives me life, to be the kind of man, the kind of Christian, that causes my children to seek my friendship and wisdom. This will not happen in my life by sheer determination alone. I must be ‘fathered’ by the Great Father, led by God, inhabited by His Spirit. How I thank God for the promise that He will lead me, teach me, and empower me. Do you want to lead your children to Him?

Be a follower, first. Then you can say, "Imitate me, just as I imitate Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1, NLT)
___________

Surrounded by so great
A cloud of witnesses,
Let us run the race
Not only for the prize,
But as those who've gone before us.
Let us leave to those behind us,
The heritage of faithfulness
Passed on thru godly lives.

After all our hopes and dreams
Have come and gone,
And our children sift thru all
We've left behind,
May the clues that they discover,
And the mem'ries they uncover,
Become the light that leads them,
To the road we each must find.

O may all who come behind us
Find us faithful,
May the fire of our devotion
Light their way.
May the footprints that we leave,
Lead them to believe,
And the lives we live
Inspire them to obey.
O may all who come behind us
Find us faithful.

Find Us Faithful

Mohr, Jon
© 1987 Jonathan Mark Music ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright Management / Birdwing Music (a div. of EMI Christian Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: