Friday, May 08, 2009

Contented with Today’s Bread

My oldest son, Jay, is a partner in a high end art gallery in Tyson’s Corner, VA. Business has been slow. Yesterday, he called me to share his joy. Just after he was asking the Lord about providing for his needs, a man walked into the gallery and bought a piece for Mother’s Day. Jay was so thankful for such an immediate answer to prayer, but I really liked what he said next. "Dad, God gave me enough for today." No, his bank account isn’t overflowing, but he was blessed with what was needed for that day.

The world we are a part of conspires to get us to spend tomorrow’s resources by using credit and
tells us we must anticipate life’s ‘needs’ so that we will pile up more in reserve. Advertising seduces us and works hard to convince us that a better life could be ours if only we owned ....

Living with contentment in what God gives for today is a challenge.

A key to knowing the joy of the Lord is learning to accept today’s bread and to be thankful for what God puts on our table. In that collection of wisdom, we find this odd prayer. "O Lord; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:7-9, NIV) What insight into human nature! When our lives are overflowing with resources, we tend to ignore God and live as though we are masters of our fate! When we are in need, we also try to take control and may become desperate enough to sin! So, "give us today our daily bread," Jesus taught us to pray.

The way that God provided food for the Israelites during the Exodus from Egypt to the Promised Land ought to instruct us. Each morning the miracle of manna was renewed. This ‘angel food’ was delivered just for the day. If they gathered more than they needed and tried to hoard it, it spoiled and stank, except on the day before the Sabbath! On that day, they could gather enough for two days, and it did not spoil. God’s message in this was, "Depend on Me!" And, every morning, God gave them fresh food, for forty years! (Exodus 16)

Read these familiar excerpts from the letter to the Philippians. And, then, disciple - choose contentment and thankfulness for today’s bread!

"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!"
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."
"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little."
"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus."

(Philippians 4:4, 6, 11-12, 19, NLT)
_____________

Heavenly Father, help me to be content, not complacent.
Give me eyes to see Your provisions and a grateful heart that accepts today’s bread.
Teach me the joy of child-like trust and help me to learn to lean on You.
When I am tempted to try to seize control and ‘make something happen,’
remind me to wait patiently and walk only where You lead.

Be honored by my thoughts, words, and actions today,
as I live a holy, joyful life in Your Peace.

Lord Jesus, I pray this in Your Name. Amen!

No comments: