Thursday, April 02, 2009

Paternity test!

Following in Dad’s steps as a pastor has it’s pluses and minuses! Being the pastor of the church where I grew up – definitely interesting! But, more and more, as I age, I hear from people, “You remind me of your Dad.” There are a few physical similarities as a result of his DNA, but their references are aimed more at things I do. Some phrase or mannerism makes people think of him, the shadow of his influence showing in my words or action. Mostly I hope I show the same love of people and the Lord, two powerful forces that drove my Dad in his life. The basic fact is this: I don’t need a test to establish his paternity! It’s obvious to any who knew Pastor Scott, Sr. that I am his son.

Jesus confronted the religious leaders of His time who attacked Him and resisted His teaching by telling them that He knew their father! They were proud of their heritage as children of Abraham, the father of the faithful, but Jesus told them they were illegitimate children, their true father was not who they thought. As one might expect, His words provoked fury. Take a look.
“If you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example. Instead, you are trying to kill me because I told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing. No, you are imitating your real father.” They replied, “We aren’t illegitimate children! God himself is our true Father.” Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. … For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does." (John 8:39-42, 44, NLT)

Disciple, to whom do your actions and values point?
Whose ‘fathering’ influence is effecting the way you live?

The Word tells us that God’s true children are ‘born again,’ fathered a second time. "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God." (John 1:12-13, NIV) The Holy Spirit mysteriously enters our being and begins a process of transformation; changing our nature, our values, our conversation, and it becomes obvious to observers Who our Father is. Just as I don’t have to consciously work to be like my Dad, no true child of God will have to work it up, either. If He lives in us, the truth of our spiritual paternity will be obvious.

Here’s a word from the Word to ponder today. “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike." (Matthew 5:43-45, NLT)

May it be said of you always – “You’re just like your Father!”

And remember, a rich inheritance awaits the children of the Heavenly Father; provision for the present and promise for eternity. "Do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." (Luke 12:29-31, NIV)
______________

Great is Thy faithfulness,
Oh God, my Father.
There is no shadow of turning
With Thee.
Thou changest not,
Thy compassions they fail not.
As Thou hast been,
Thou forever will be!

Great is Thy faithfulness.
Great is Thy faithfulness.
Morning by morning,
New mercies I see.
All I have needed,
Thy hand hath provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness,
Lord, unto me.

- Public domain

No comments: