Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Chasing the mirage?

House, the Monday night medical drama, (Fox TV, 8 PM) is always recorded on my DVR. Strangely I enjoy the medical mysteries that are solved by the rude, socially inept doctor, who cannot sustain a real relationship in his life! A recent episode was about a famed physician, a cancer researcher, who left her work to dabble in various hobbies because, in her words, “I just had to be happy.” The story kept circling back to that theme of seeking personal happiness regardless of the opinions of others or the obligations a person feels to the larger world. In a hundred ways, the writers found places to put in the message that a person must not choose to live ‘doing the right things’ if they really want to be happy. You must chase your bliss! The doctor who had abandoned her career says, “You will only spend one day at the end of your life wondering if you lived in a way that really made a difference, but you will live 25,000 days before that. Those days should be full of happiness.” Are you nodding your head in agreement? It makes so much sense, doesn’t it? It almost got to me, too. I found myself wondering if I was a fool for the life choices I’ve made, if I should elevate happiness as a pursuit.

And, it is a deception! Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product of choices that are godly and noble. If a person focuses himself on attaining happiness, he will change course a hundred times trying to hold onto an elusive feeling. That is precisely how millions of people make their day to day decisions and then they wonder, “Why am I so unfulfilled?” After burning through three marriages, moving to yet another town, restarting their live in a fourth new career; they discover that happiness is not a situation or a location. If we choose to focus on self, we make a default choice for something less than God purposed for our lives!

“Jerry, are you the anti-happy guy?” No way, but I do believe that the pursuit of happiness is seriously over-rated in our time. I pursue joy, a similar emotion, but one that comes as a gift to those who put God and others first as Jesus taught in the basic commandments. A life that yields the greater satisfaction over the long term is one guided by the will of the One who designed us.

Jesus Christ says, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40, NIV) On another occasion, a man quoted these two commands to Him and His response was, “Do this and you will live.” (Luke 10:28, NIV) The word, ‘live,’ in the context does not just mean, ‘keep on breathing.’ It includes vitality and refreshment; a life of fullness!

I’m not polishing my halo, so please do not read the next few lines in that way. I share this only as an illustration of the point. A year ago, when Dad was diagnosed with cancer, I realized that not only his life would change; so would mine. Because he lives 2.5 hours away, I knew that my priorities would need to be altered to make it possible for me walk with Mom and him through this valley as love requires. For months, every week I have spent my day off and the two nights before and after at his side. It ain’t always happy time! It’s required sacrifice of time, rest, and money. I don’t always even want to make the trip knowing I’ll come home sad and tired. But, I have experienced great joy in being a support, in sharing the tears, in loving their kids. If I just wanted to be happy, I’d avoid sick rooms and tears! But, loving him has opened the door to a deeper experience of joy, allowing me to know love and give love. God be praised!

Disciple, refuse to chase the mirage of happiness. It will always be one day, one dollar, one experience beyond your reach! Instead, choose joy! Obey God today. Love somebody today. Listen for the Spirit’s urging today and respond with a ready, ‘yes, Lord!’ Here’s a word from the Word. Let it fill your mind as you prayerfully ponder it.

"The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord. So rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey him! Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure!" (Psalm 32:8-11, NLT)
____________

I have found a wondrous Savior,
Jesus Christ, the Soul's Delight.
Every blessing of His favor,
Fills my heart with hope so bright.

Heav'nly wisdom He provides me,
Grace to keep my Spirit free.
In His own sweet way He guides me,
When the path I cannot see.

Jesus is the Joy of Living;
He's the King of Life to me.
Unto Him my all I'm giving,
His forevermore to be.
I will do what He commands me.
Anywhere He leads I'll go.
Jesus is the joy of living,
He's the dearest Friend I know.

Jesus is the Joy of Living
Alfred Ackley © 1939. Renewed 1967 Word Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: