Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is the sky really falling?

From the subject line, you could conclude that I do not buy the alarmist language of our national leaders warning of an impending economic implosion. Honestly, what I know about economics ends with a balanced checkbook and mortgage interest rates, so I won't risk making a silly statement about what whether this is a real or manufactured crisis. Any investment advice I might give would be worth what you paid for it; nothing! But, I am watching all this news with a great deal of interest and no small amount of concern, wondering what it will mean for my future, for the finances of our church and Christian school, and how the crisis will effect the lives of those who are close to the edge financially. My questions far outweigh the answers available.

This I know; this is a time to re-evaluate where I am placing my hope and what I treasure most. And, I know this, too. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we must not allow ourselves to be overtaken with panicky feelings. We need not be sleepless through the night! We need not fear the future. We should check and be certain that we are following God's plan for stewardship of our resources, including choices like: being content with what we have, not spending our future by diving into debt, buying what we need and can afford rather than thing that impress others, exercising prudence in our spending so we are not living above our means, regularly setting aside a sizeable portion of our income for giving to God's work and those in need. Even though a Christian who practices sound stewardship practices is not exempt from the effects of a bad national economy, he has every reason for hope, and a sure faith that keeps him solid as a rock when the world around shakes.

Through the disciplines of the Spirit, he has come to know that his true wealth is not based on his bank account balance. His actual security is not found in gold. Jesus says: “Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot.” (Luke 12:15 Message) We need that hear His wisdom, again and again. We live in two worlds - this present one, where we have bills to pay and are tempted by all the 'stuff' that is available to us; and the spiritual world, which is our true and eternal home. After cautioning us about becoming too attached to material goods, Jesus told this story.
“The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: ‘What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.’ Then he said, ‘Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods, and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’
“Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’ “
That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.”
(Luke 12:15-21, The Message)

"We cannot maintain a good life of extravagance and a good conscience simultaneously. One or the other has to be sacrificed. Either we keep our conscience and reduce our affluence by giving generously and helping those in need, or we keep our affluence and smother our conscience. We have to choose between God and man." - John Stott, quoted in Discipleship Journal : Issue 53.

Another familiar passage comforts and confronts us.
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21, NIV)

Is the sky falling? Are hard times ahead? I do not know. I will pray for God's peace to protect my mind. I will choose to live in faith and I will store my treasure in Heaven. And, I will pray for my love for Jesus to grow stronger, replacing my attraction to the trinkets of this world. How about you?
_______________________

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said;
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty.
But the One who feeds the sparrow,
Is the One who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion,
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know who holds tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.

I Don't Know About Tomorrow
Ira Stanphill © 1950 Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: