Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Your Wisdom, my rock

I plan to replace the radiator in my Miata this week. Jerry, with a few tools in hand, can be a frightening idea. More than once my optimism has exceeded my expertise! A Miata owner's website tells me that even a person with moderate mechanical ability can do it, so I'm going to give it a try. However, I am not playing the fool on this project. Before I ordered the new part, I contacted a friend and asked him if he would be on stand-by should I need him to bring his knowledge to my rescue. He gladly offered to be my guide. I believe I can do this small job because I have a source, a person to whom I can turn, if I need him. Only a fool thinks himself above the need for counsel and guidance.

Most Christians would be quick to affirm that Jesus Christ is the source of Wisdom for their lives. But what exactly does that mean? Do they respect His brilliance and readily conform themselves to what He says? Dallas Willard makes this stinging observation: "Far too often, He is taken as a mere icon, a wraithlike semblance of a man living on the margin of 'real' life where you and I must dwell. He is perhaps fit for the role of sacrificial lamb or alienated social critic, but little more." - The Great Omission, Harper, 2006 The Scripture asserts that He is the One "in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments." (Colossians 2:3-4, NIV)

Here are a few examples of His wisdom.

Jesus tells us to forgive those who offend us. Do we see that as impractical advice like that of our Grandma, or as the wisdom of history's smartest Man? Jesus knows that if we refuse to forgive we pile up relational debts that create all kinds of spiritual, emotional, and even physical problems. His insight into the way we are made causes Him to know that forgiveness is best. So, will we do it?

Jesus tells us not to divorce our spouse except for the most egregious sins against us. Do we trust that wisdom as best for all people of all time or do we privately think that His words belong to another time, that they will surely keep us from happiness in this life?

Jesus counsels disciples to avoid trusting in accumulations of wealth on earth as security. He says that we ought to store our wealth in Heaven by investing ourselves in the Kingdom of God. Do we trust that wisdom and put Kingdom issues first or do we discard His wisdom as impractical for this materialistic age?

Is His promise just the idle boast or is it the cornerstone of life to the full? "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." (Matthew 7:24-27, NIV) He reminds us that none of us can give ourselves to two masters. We can only serve one. To attempt to serve two, means we serve neither.

To trust His wisdom as the guide for life is a faith decision. What He teaches us does not always lead to an immediate benefit, nor is His way necessarily the way of comfort or even 'common sense.' But, His words are life and are worthy of ultimate respect and total obedience. "In him was life, and that life was the light of men.. . . From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another." (John 1:4,16, NIV)
__________________________

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay.
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say.

Word of God speak!
Would You pour down like rain,
Washing my eyes to see,
Your majesty?
To be still and know,
That You're in this place?
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness,
Word of God speak!

I'm finding myself in the midst of You,
Beyond the music, beyond the noise,
All that I need is to be with You,
And in the quiet hear Your voice.

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is, it's okay.

- Copyright, MercyMe

No comments: