Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Do Hard Things!

I avoid physical exercise. "Let's take a walk this evening," is an invitation with about as much attraction as "how about getting a flu shot?" But I also know that going for a brisk walk several evenings during the week would be beneficial to my health and my waistline! In this one area I simply refuse to do the hard thing. My aversion to perspiration has nothing to do with inability; it is not because I cannot; I simply will not. Only half-jokingly older friends tell me that I will change my attitude dramatically after my first heart attack, assuming I survive it.

Every evening I choose not to walk with my lovely wife, it is a little easier to say, "No," the next time; and in ways that are only discernable over the long term, my fitness declines. A couple of Summers ago, when I made myself get up and go with her, each evening it became easier. I actually found that my physical condition improved to the point that I did not huff and puff on the hills!

A disciplined life has many rewards. A person who knows how to budget and control spending, actually finds himself with more discretionary funds! Instead of always paying off his credit cars (and the awful interest that goes with poor stewardship practices) he is able to make more choices including more generosity. A person who regularly prays - as fervently in good seasons as in those when tragedy lurks - enjoys the benefit of current conversation with God and the comfort of meeting a true Friend. A person who makes participation at his local church a priority even when the sun shines on the golf course builds a reservoir of relationships that pays great dividends when life hits reverse (and it will, sooner or later).

The Bible is full of commands that demand much of us. Jesus says things like: "Forgive those who do you wrong! Love your enemies! Practice your generosity without telling anybody. Live for Heaven, not just for your next meal. Deal with your own sin before you try to deal with that of others. Follow me!" In the rest of the Bible we find commands such as - "Keep a tight rein on your words. Don't use filthy speech. Trust God when it's dark. Endure hardship. Give thanks always." Are these hard things? Yes. Are they possible? For the Believer who is filled with Spirit, they are! The issue is will. Will you do hard things or make an excuse why you can't? I am not, for a moment, suggesting that you or I can save ourselves from sin, but we do have a big responsibility to exert our will in the direction of godliness.

Most of us have some 'will nots' in our lives. There are things we do not do because they are difficult or unpleasant. We could do them and even know, in many cases we should be doing them, but we will not. James does not spare our feelings with regard to refusal to do God's hard things. He says that "Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins." (James 4:17, NIV)

The Coach of Heaven stands ready to help us succeed. Let's encourage one another. Let these words urge you on when you find yourself wanting to refuse God's invitation to do the hard things.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:24-25, NIV)

"We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God’s training so we can truly live? While we were children, our parents did what seemed best to them. But God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God’s holy best. At the time, discipline isn’t much fun. It always feels like it’s going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it’s the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God." (Hebrews 12:9-11, The Message)

And, if you encourage me - hopefully I'll start to enjoy that evening walk with Bev!

May the Lord bless your day with good things, with joy, and with the peace of God!

No comments: