Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Priest Who Understands

When I wrote of the silence of God yesterday, I included this, "It's not an intellectual explanation I seek. I long for the touch of the Savior." As I pondered and prayed, I began to realize that the Savior does understand exactly what I am experiencing, for He experienced it, too. At the Crucifixion, even as He was put through physical suffering that is almost beyond my comprehension at the hands of cruel soldiers, He dealt with another kind of pain that was less visible, but more intense! He felt forsaken by God! "About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'"Matthew 27:46, NIV)

Jesus is God. From the foundation of Creation, He knew the plan of salvation. When He left Heaven to become the Incarnate God-Man, he clearly understood His mission. When He taught His disciples, He told them of what must happen to Him. He knew, yet when He went through the terrible experience that brought us forgiveness and reconciliation, He still felt alone and abandoned by His Father. So I conclude that even if we know what is happening to us, even if we can logically explain our situation, we may still feel alone!

Here's what I did with this. I thanked the Lord Jesus for standing alongside of me. He has promised to pray for me. "Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens." (Hebrews 7:24-26, NIV) I give up my desire to press for explanations, release my demands for an easy or simple conclusion. I will just stand by Him, thankful that He knows my heart and that He will be my Priest in Heaven!

If we are willing to just trust God without demanding answers, we will become better comforters to those who suffer, too. Yesterday, I had the privilege of sitting with Andre D., a man from the congregation who has fought cancer's ravages for a long time. His cancer is now advanced, his body and spirit weakened. Instead of trying to offer explanations or even to 'make him feel better' I just listened while he talked and shared his tears. Our fellowship was sweet for a short time as I allowed myself to become "Jesus with skin on" for him. When we prayed, together we just stood alongside of Jesus Christ, by faith, and were comforted that He knew our sense of loneliness and that He was praying for us at the right hand of the God of Glory.

______________________

Jesus, what a Friend for sinners,
Jesus, Lover of my soul.
Friends may fail me,
Foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.


Hallelujah, what a Savior!
Hallelujah, what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving;
He is with me to the end!

Chapman, public domain

No comments: