Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"Not an ounce of quit in him!"

I watched two hours of primary election returns last night, fascinated by this election's twists and turns - particularly by the comeback of John McCain. This is not an endorsement of a candidate. Hang with me. Back in July, McCain's campaign was 'over.' All the talking heads agreed that because he had no money left in his campaign and could not raise any; because his poll numbers had plummeted into single digits; and especially because he was just 'on the wrong side of the issues of the war in Iraq and immigration,' there was no way for him to win. So, they said! But, the 71 year old Senator kept going. He gave up most of his staff, flew in coach seats from DC to New Hampshire every weekend, carried his own bags, and drove himself to meetings with little groups of voters. According to one of his campaign staff, there is 'not an ounce of quit in him.' And, last night, his gritty determination paid off with a win. I still disagree with most of his policy positions, but I find myself inspired by his courage, stamina, and passion.

Only God knows why life sometimes slides into reverse! But, it does! Problems start to outnumber solutions. Opponents gather to tell us we're wrong. Health problems show up. Expenses are bigger than income. Friends turn on us. Ever been there? I have and I do not like it, not even a little. Even more troubling than the external problems are the self-doubts that starts to nag at the edges of our minds in those times. They tell us that we're yesterday's news, that it's time to step aside and let somebody with new ideas take over, or that God has sidelined us. When I find myself there, I naturally want to pray that God will smooth out the bumps. "Give me a miracle!" I cry. He can, sometimes does, but usually He asks me to keep going, straight into the struggles! He says, "Pray for courage. Ask for strength. See it through." "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:21, NIV)

Read the book of the Acts of the Apostles without the triumphal filter that is so often laid over it by preachers! You will find a story of gritty determination, of men and women with a steely faith, who would not quit. Paul and his companions were thrown out of city after city, sometimes imprisoned, more than once left for dead. In one city this was the message they preached: "strengthening the disciples (they) encouraged them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said." (Acts 14:22, NIV)

Believer, let's get a new grasp on what God wants done. Many around us have functionally if not intellectually adopted Nietzsche's declaration that "God is dead!" They live without moral compass, at the mercy of their emotions, serving no higher purpose than momentary happiness. "If it feels good, do it" reigns as the philosophy of this age. Those of us who claim to love God, to be disciples of Jesus Christ, and who are filled with His Spirit must have none of that! We are called to build the Kingdom of God, to be people of compassion, to revere life, to care for all that God created and put in our care. We must, if necessary, give our lives to bring peace, to defend the weak, to call others to love and serve our God. It will be costly!

Sometimes the process will not make much sense. Don't race to the conclusion. God's pace and plans are often not ours. So trust Him. As Paul reminds the Corinthians, "judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God." (1 Corinthians 4:5, NIV)

Thanks, John McCain, for a great lesson in courage, both in recent months and in your earlier years when you survived the horrors of a prison of war camp in Hanoi!
______________________

My faith has found a resting place,
not in device nor creed.
I trust the Ever Living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea.
It is enough that Jesus died,
and that He died for me.

My heart is standing on the Word,
the living Word of God.
Salvation by my Savior's Name,
Salvation by His blood.
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea.
It is enough that Jesus died,
and that He died for me.

- Lidie Edmunds, public domain

No comments: