Wednesday, December 05, 2007

With you to the end!

When our children were little on occasion one of them would appear at our bedside in the middle of the night crying, "I had a bad dream." She would then crawl up between Bev and me and snuggle in. In a matter of minutes (usually seconds) she would be sleeping again, comforted by the presence of her parents. I would then pick her up in my arms and carry her back to her own bed. In the morning, she usually did not even remember her midnight distress! Even as an adult, I know this 'presence of another' phenomenon. In a situation where I would be afraid to walk alone, I feel no fear when accompanied by another.

In story of Israel's exodus from Egypt, which is a metanarrative for the Believers journey from sin to sainthood, at one point Moses has a conversation with the Lord about his uncertainty about being able to fulfill his calling. "Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. ..." The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"
(Exodus 33:12-16, NIV) Moses reveals his fear of the future, his inadequacy for the task. God's answer is to assure him of His Presence.

When Jesus was about to return to the Father, bringing the era of the Holy Spirit, He issued a commission and gave a promise of Presence to His disciples and, by extension, to us. "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20, NIV) Christians believe that God is everywhere, that He is not localized in some building or mountaintop. We call this the omnipresence of God. While this is an important part of our theology, Jesus was promising something more than this to us. In John's Gospel, we read His promise that God's Spirit will be living in us. He explained that we would be connected to Him like a branch is connected to the vine!

We need never walk alone nor fearfully, but sometimes we do. Why?

There are several reasons that we fail to experience the Presence of God in our lives. In no special order, here are some of them.

Faithlessness! At times we become so focused on the immediate circumstances that surround us, we lose sight of God's larger purpose. Peter walked on water, by faith, until he became focused on the waves beneath his feet. Then, losing sight of Jesus, he sank!

Sinfulness! Everyone of us is subject to temptation. Depending on our personalities, situations, opportunities, and experiences there will be differing kinds of temptations. One will be attracted by material things; another by power; and yet another by pleasure. While dealing with temptation can be tiring, there is no sin until we give ourselves to the seduction, making the choice to reject the way of God for our own way. When we do, we sin and sin separates us from knowing the Presence of God.

Fatigue! Knowing how to find rest, when to step aside, and the importance of regular worship (the OT teaches us the Sabbath principle) will keep us from this hazard. But, many times we allow the tyranny of the urgent to drive us beyond our limits, to cause us to ignore the necessity of renewal, and we become victims of fatigue. God has not forsaken us, but we think He has. Like Elijah, we wail, "I am the only one left among the faithful." The sweet rest of His Presence is replaced by a sour driven dutifulness that dries up our spirit.

Dear friend, it is easier to write of living in the Presence of God than it is to actually do it! He is faithful always, we are not! If you are weary, drained, and afraid, do not believe the lie that God has forsaken you, left you forever. He does not move from us. We move from Him. Quiet your mind today. Make time to be worshipful. If temptation is lurking, thank the Spirit for His power in you that allows you to resist and rise above it. Take a simple passage of the Word and meditate on it. And... wait patiently for the Lord.

Here is a word from the Word. "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies. I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the Lord. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God. ... A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else! I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked." (Psalm 84:1-2, 10, NLT)
___________________

You're calling me to lay aside the worries of my day.
To quiet down my busy mind, and find a hiding place
Worthy!!! Worthy!!!

I open up my heart and let My spirit worship Yours.
I open up my mouth and let A song of praise come forth.
Worthy!!! You are worthy!!!

Of a childlike faith,
Of my honest praise,
And of my unashamed love!
Of a holy life,
Of my sacrifice,
And of my unashamed love.
Worthy!!! You are worthy!!!

Unashamed Love
Lamont Herbert
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: