Monday, December 10, 2007

Let your kingdom come

Even with the few details available in the media, imagining the chaotic scene at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, CO yesterday brings me deep sorrow. One account said that the man, armed with a rifle, entered the church's foyer, a large spacious area with a cafe, just as the 11 AM worship service was over. He started shooting; wounding several and killing two, before an armed security guard shot and killed him! In August, 2005 I stood in that very space , browsing the bookstore, enjoying a cup of coffee in their cafe. A larger than life bronze sculpture of an angel/warrior is the room's centerpiece, standing as a symbol of the powerful Presence of God in our lives. Yet, that church, which proclaims the Name, is now a place where death came to the unsuspecting. We can only wonder why the Lord allowed this as we pray for those families who mourn this morning.

Sorrow is so much a part of life in this world, isn't it?
That's not just the pessimist in me speaking. To be sure there are glorious moments when love and light shine brightly on us, when praise comes easily to our lips and our hearts overflow with joy. But there is an incredible amount of pain to be experienced in the course of life, too. The icy fingers of evil find a way to touch us - be it with personal tragedy, family division, natural disaster, or the kind of incidents that keep our news media in operation 24/7. Some mistakenly think that this is new to our time, but the ancient words of the Psalms reveal that suffering, even for the godly, was known in every age. "Death wrapped its ropes around me; the terrors of the grave overtook me. I saw only trouble and sorrow." (Psalm 116:3, NLT) If that were the last word, the despair would be unbearable. But the Word goes on to say, "Then I called on the name of the Lord: "Please, Lord, save me!" How kind the Lord is! How good he is! So merciful, this God of ours! The Lord protects those of childlike faith; I was facing death, and he saved me. Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me." (Psalm 116:4-7, NLT)

We are part of a great struggle in which our God allows the Evil one to exist. We cannot know the reason; it defies our understanding.
But this we know, the Lord calls us into the struggle with sin, suffering, and Satan! He equips us with the gifts of His Spirit, and wraps us in the assurance of salvation and life eternal. Would I like to live in a Eden paradise without evil? Yes! Do I desire a world without cancer, without divorce, without conflict, without gunmen who shoot down unsuspecting people in malls and church lobbies? Yes, yes, yes! But I am not God and I do not get to shape the universe. What I can do is work faithfully in my little corner of it to build the kingdom of Heaven. By that I do not mean that I build high fences to isolate myself from the realities of my ugly world! I am called to be a bold warrior of love, one who invades the darkness with the Light. Because of His grace I can love others and make His Presence known. In a world where some deal in death, taking away hope and robbing peace, I will, by the power of God, give life, encourage others with love, and make peace!

And, of this I am confident; there will be come a moment when the larger questions of evil will find an answer with the coming of the King, who is the Lord of Righteousness. In this season of Advent, we remember that He came to us once as our Savior, God Incarnate; and that He will come to us again as King, Lord of Glory. Faithfully we pray the closing words of the Holy Scripture -
"He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen.
Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen
." (Revelation 22:20-22, NIV)
___________________

Here's a word from the Word. Take it with you today.
"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:10-12, NLT)
"Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness." (Ephesians 6:14, NLT)

___________________

Father, my world - both inward and outward- is chaotic today.
The suffering that I see is hard to fit into a system of logic,
but I pray for faith to cling to your promise.
Keep me from fear and make me bold in your service.
Fill me with the love of Jesus and let that love
overflow in my word and actions today,
spilling into the lives of those who are without the comfort of faith.
Break the curse! Defeat the Evil one!
Let Your kingdom come,
Your will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

No comments: