Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Fear not!"

I am not a coward, nor am I given to running from life's challenges; but I sometimes experience fear! Knowing just how vulnerable I am to things as widely varied as microscopic viruses, out of control tractor trailer trucks, and the up's and down's of the national economy - is enough to make me quake! The best that I can do is limited risk management, trying to reduce the impact that the unplanned and the unforeseen can have on my life. That said, I do not spend a whole lot of time focusing on the potential dangers that lurk all around me. There is simply too much living to do! I will not let fear take away the joy of living.

My best ally in dealing with the uncertainties of life is the Almighty!

My life is in His hands. Either I trust Him or I do not; there is no middle ground. He is Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all. When I am tempted to be fearful, I renew my understanding of His rule over every part of my life and my desire to live in the center of His will. I am not claiming that I understand everything that happens to me or to those around me. The phrase, "God's will," is much abused and misunderstood even by Believers. In a recent conversation with a person who had relocated to a new city, a new job, far from home, I asked, "so how did you come to make this decision?" Without a pause she answered, "God told me to move. It was His will." I do not doubt her sincerity for a moment, but I found her words jarring. Inwardly I thought, "You mean to tell me that you had no part in this decision? You weren't attracted by better money, or a different climate, or the fact that friend lived there? It was just 'God's will' pure and simple?"

For me the will of God is much less concrete than it seems to be for my friend! I seldom make a claim like she made. Why? Do I lack faith? No! But I know well what He declares in the prophecies of Isaiah - "my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways." (Isaiah 55:8 NIV) I know that I am incapable of knowing all of His purposes, and that because I am still a creature of two natures - spiritual and sinful - it is entirely possible that I will get it wrong when it comes to my motives and actions. My faith is set on the fact that He is greater than my failures and that He is capable of working through, around, and in all the circumstances of life - the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly!

He is God and I am not - therefore, I will not fear. He says to me, "For I am the LORD your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar— the LORD Almighty is his name. I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand— I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth, and who say to Zion, ‘You are my people." (Isaiah 51:15-16, NIV)

In the story of the birth of Christ the phrase, "Fear not!" is recorded on three separate occasions when persons encountered the messengers of the Lord.

Mary, when she was told that she would be the mother of Jesus, was not elated. Luke tells us that at first she was "confused and disturbed" by God's will. But, the angel assured her that God's favor would rest on her and then he said, "Fear not!"
Joseph heard that his fiancé was pregnant and he knew he had not slept with her. He was torn between his desire to love her and his honor. He had decided to quietly end the engagement when the Lord showed up and told him "fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 1:20, KJV) Isn't it amazing? Basically, Joseph is told, "just trust Me!" And, he did!
Zechariah was doing his priestly work, offering incense on the prayer altar, when he was told that he was about to become a Daddy. The only thing was that Elizabeth, his wife, had been unable to conceive and was now by all human accounts too old to have a child! How did Zechariah respond? "He was troubled and fear fell on him." (Luke 1.12) And what did God say? You've figured it out by now, right? Yes, you're right - "Fear not!"

Mary did not know how it was going to work out, what God's announcement would mean for her life, but she trusted God anyway.
Joseph did not have any explanation for a virgin's pregnancy, but he was willing to step over his lack of understanding and do what God wanted him to do as he trusted the Sovereign Lord.
Zechariah took a while to come around, but he gained a deeper knowledge of the Person of the God he served, and came to trust Him completely.

Now the question comes to you and me - will we trust Him with all things? Will we argue for fuller explanations, demand that He make His plans, even for tomorrow, crystal clear?
Or will we hear Him say, "Fear not!" and choose to live faithfully, just for today?

Here is His promise to those who trust and obey:
"God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Corinthians 9:8, NIV) "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NIV)
_________________

Joy to the world! the Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King.
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And heav'n and nature sing,
And heav'n and nature sing,
And heav'n and heav'n and nature sing.

Joy to the earth! the Savior reigns;
Let men their songs employ.
While fields and floods,Rocks, hills and plains,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy.

He rules the world with truth and grace
And makes the nations prove.
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders, and wonders of His love.

Joy To The World
Watts, Isaac / Handel, George Frederick© Public Domain

No comments: