Monday, November 19, 2007

A favored son

Nobody likes making mistakes publicly. When I am in front of the church on Sunday morning, it is my desire to be prepared so as to help the worship experience to be seamless for those who are in the congregation. Yesterday, that was not happening! The PowerPoint slides were in wrong order. My words seemed to trip over each other. The message was somewhat disjointed. It was a great reminder - "Hey, Jerry, you're not perfect!" My natural tendency after such Sunday mornings is to feel worthless because I don't 'get it exactly right.' Yes, I am something of a perfectionist. When I fail in more important ways such as being loveless in words or actions, allowing myself to be envious, or some other sin; I am even harder on myself. But, I have learned to turn quickly to the Lord. When I sin, I seek forgiveness. When I just don't get it right like yesterday morning, I refocus my attention from a self-defeating attitude that says, "I am no good," to thank Him for using me in His work in spite of my imperfections.

Tempted to wrap myself in sackcloth of self reproach, I read again the amazing declaration of God's favor that is directed to me, and towards all who are called to be 'in Christ.' Here it is. "Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son. He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding." (Ephesians 1:4-8, NLT)

Did you take note of the verbs that describe God's actions? "Loved, chose, decided!" God pursues us, not because we are perfect, or even because we are desirable. He chooses us because He is good and gracious. And, going beyond simply having pity for us in our sorry sinful state, He intervenes to change the way we live; to give us a new life, one marked by freedom and wisdom! No matter how badly you have failed someone or even God Himself, no matter how far you may have fallen, there is a Savior whose grace is greater. That is the good news. Believe it, receive it, and see what God can do with you!

Paul started out as Saul, the Pharisee, persecuting Christians, even seeking their death. He rejected the Lord of Glory and lived in an ugly parody of righteousness, centered on futile attempts to be good enough for God, that ignored the true state of his soul. Then, he met Jesus and was shown the depth of his deception and depravity. Saul, the man with the rich religious heritage, and sorry record of sinfulness, sees the truth that he is, despite his best efforts, 'the worst of sinners.' But, he does not live in that declaration. He lives in the grace of God. He says, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." (1 Timothy 1:15-16, NIV) A friend calls the past failures and sins, 'the junk in the trunk.' We can drag around that stuff, letting it weigh us down, hoping to keep the past hidden, convinced that though we are going to Heaven, that here on earth we are worthless to God! OR, we can let the Lord Jesus have the junk, forgive the sins, restore us from our failures - and become favored sons of God, in whom He shows off His amazing grace and ability to transform. Saul took a new name, Paul, and God made the one time sinner into an amazing saint.

At the start of this week of Thanksgiving, let God's love pour over, right now. Thank Him for the Cross of Christ, where all your sins were fully forgiven! Thank Him for the grace that closes the gap between your good intentions and your human tendency to fail. Thank Him for loving an imperfect child like you. I thank Him for loving one like me, everyday.

Take this prayer with you this week -- read it again and again, accepting what it says as true for you:
"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.

And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.


Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:16-21, NLT)
______________________________

No comments: