Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Making sense of life

Hundreds of messages come at me each day from all kinds of sources. Pundits tell me what to think about a range of options from politics to economics to religion. Then, too, many demand change as they warn about the dire effects that my choices have on the whole world. Last night, I heard the national director of PETA declared that those who eat meat are the worst contributors to global warming! What? Yes, she said (with a straight face) that the 'factory farms' raise millions of cattle that produce methane gas (oh, would I love to make a joke right now!) that destroys the atmosphere even more than emissions from cars and trucks! Kidding aside, is that true? If so, must I become a vegetarian to be a good steward of the earth? In between such pronouncements, little packets of 'information' implore me to drive a Ford, shop at Target, buy insurance from Geico, and take Bayer aspirin. Books and magazines bring ideas about every conceivable subject. Conversations with dozens of people each week require more thought and evaluation.


How do we evaluate all this information? How do we make the best choices with such an array of options before us? That is the big question, isn't it? If left to human wisdom, my own or that borrowed from others, I am lost for the wisdom of man has failed so often. The 'wise' have turned out to be fools; the 'righteous' revealed as frauds; last year's 'truth' replaced by this year's discoveries. Dr. David Wells writes that when we turn from a God-centered life to a man-centered one, "everything drifts apart. It begins to resemble confetti - a myriad of experiences, none of which is related to the others..... and which can mean anything. The human being becomes 'homeless' adrift in a world that is beyond comprehension." (Above All Earthly Pow'rs, Eerdmans, 2005)


Solomon tried making sense of life with various philosophies. In the book of the cynic, Ecclesiastes, he writes of his many choices. "Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life." But I found that this, too, was meaningless. ...I decided to cheer myself with wine. ... In this way, I tried to experience the only happiness most people find during their brief life in this world. I also tried to find meaning by building huge homes for myself and by planting beautiful vineyards. . . . I collected great sums of silver and gold, the treasure of many kings and provinces. .... I had everything a man could desire! So I became greater than all who had lived in Jerusalem before me, and my wisdom never failed me. ... But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. . . . This is all so meaningless!" (Ecclesiastes 2:1-15, NLT) Such is the conclusion of those who try to make sense of life without a reference to the One who gave life! Solomon, after all his efforts, comes 'round to this conclusion: "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, NIV)

Believer, is the True Center of your life the Lord Jesus Christ? Are you attempting to make sense of your life with pleasure, money, technology, control and/or organization, education, or something else of this present world? Those things, while offering some help and presenting us with some benefits, will surely come up very short of providing a life with meaning! Some of you are thinking - "I don't ask the questions! I just retreat into my little world and forget the rest." Even that choice, while offering some comfort short term, displeases God who has commissioned us to 'go into all the world' and build His kingdom. Jesus promises that He will be with us 'even to the end of the age.' He promised that the Spirit of God would live in us, making the Truth of God known to us. He says, "I’m A to Z. I’m The God Who Is, The God Who Was, and The God About to Arrive. I’m the Sovereign-Strong." (Revelation 1:8, The Message)

This is not a simplistic answer to the complexity of life. It is the answer that gives you and me an anchor, a point of reference, and access to Wisdom that stands above all the things of this temporal world. As He guides us, our lives become meaningful; even the pain we suffer useful in the hand of God for His eternal purposes. Do not let yourself be taken captive by the arrogance of human 'wisdom.' Instead, submit to the Lord Jesus Christ - every part, every thought, every choice - and allow Him to sort it all out, and He will cause you to find 'life to the full!'
___________________________

The wind is moving,
But I am standing still,
A life of pages waiting to be filled,
A heart that's hopeful,
A head that's full of dreams,
But this becoming is harder
Than it seems.

I'm looking for a reason,
Roaming through the night to find,
My place in this world,
Not a lot to lean on,
I need Your light to help me find,
My place in this world.

If there are millions
Down on their knees,
Among the many,
Can You still hear me?
Hear me asking, "Where do I belong?"
Is there a vision
That I can call my own?

Place in this World;
Michael W. Smith
© 1990 Careers-BMG Music Publishing, Inc. / Milene Music, Inc. (Admin. by Opryland Music Group, Inc.) / Age To Age Music, Inc. (Admin. by The Loving Company; Admin. by The Loving Company)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: