Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Complex world; simple faith

My life is organized around my confession of faith. God, the Creator, governs the world. I can know Him because of Jesus Christ, His Son, who is my Lord and Savior. The Holy Spirit lives in me, empowering me to serve His purposes. It is a simple faith, but not an easy one! The complexity of life challenges my faith almost daily. Things like Katrina (the hurricane that devastated SE United States), cancer, and human cruelty in all its various forms, beg me to question God's power and presence. But, the choice is made - I belong to God and, by His grace, I will continue to love and serve Him for the rest of my days.

There was a time in my life when my faith involved many threads, clauses, and reservations. At that time, faith was more like a complicated contract than a simple statement! I struggled to make it 'fit' the complexity of the world around me, wrestling to explain all of the things that I observed in my daily experience within the framework of the faith I professed. Many prayers were offered up around the question - 'why?' A few of those questions have been answered over time, but most remain. What has changed is that I now enjoy a deep abiding sense of God's Presence in this world. It is not that my life has become simpler! If anything, it is even more complex now than ever. I carry a greater load of responsibility for more people and a larger organization than I have at any time in my 52 years. Decisions that I make or in which I am a participant have a direct effect on the lives of others. That is, at least partially, why I have come to a faith that is more distilled around this core truth- Jesus cares and loves me, therefore, I can love and care for others.

This simpler faith has freed me from the need to negotiate with God, to beg His favor. I am more convinced that "God is for me, not against me." I live in the confidence that nothing that comes my way is too big for Him, will surprise Him, or can overcome His gracious love. No, I am not a simpleton who lacks a grasp of the possibilities for pain or disappointment that exist all around me. I am still very much part of this world which is, in the words of Martin Luther, 'with devils filled and threatens to undo us!' But I am a subject of the King whose power has triumphed over sin, Hell, and death. So, with Paul, I set my hope in Christ Jesus. "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us." (2 Timothy 1:12-14, NIV)

Let me urge you to choose simple faith. From the Word, understand the core Truth of God's eternal nature, of the triumph of Christ, and of the Spirit's power - and place those things at the center of your life. Ask the Lord to teach you to respond in faith to the issues of your life, choosing the way of the faithful consistently. And, you will find rock-like stability in a confusing, complex world! James reminds us of the importance of simple faith.

"If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father.
He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it.
Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.
People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves.
Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open."
(James 1:5-8, The Message)

There are still many complex questions around the 'what, when, where, why, and how' of life! But, knowing Who holds the answers to those questions in His eternal mind is my rock of assurance. Do you know Him? Is He really Lord? Then, trust Him!
______________________________________

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Tho the night deepens, And tempest are wild;
Still I can trust Him I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, And I am His child.

Under His wings, Under His wings
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, What a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort and there I am blest.

Under His Wings, Ira Sankey© Public Domain
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: