Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just-as-if-I'd never sinned!

We are very intent on justifying ourselves. In a counseling session I listened as a person who has spent much of her adult life abusing drugs blamed the world. She could not bring herself to say, "It was my decision to smoke, snort, and inject that stuff." Instead, she blamed her mother, her boyfriends, and just about everybody else in her life. I am sure her stories had an element of truth, but as long as she convinces herself that her addictions are not 'her problem,' her life will remain in disarray. For most of us it is as natural a response as breathing to point out why we were right to do what we did, to say what we said. It is a pattern as old as Eden, where Adam told God that "it was the woman you gave me that gave me the fruit!" She, in turn, blamed the serpent, "it deceived me and I ate the fruit!" Think of the various 'reasons' you present when challenged about some behavior. We blame bad parents, poor schools, our genetic heritage, co-workers, traffic, wives, husbands... the list is long, isn't it? When I was a teenager, Mrs. McDaniel often reminded our Youth Sunday School Class of her definition of a self-justifying excuse - "a skin of a reason, stuffed full of lies!" After 4 decades I can still hear her saying it, with all the passion she could muster, as she pressed us to be responsible people.

If you want to be right with God, throw away the excuses; forget about convincing Him that 'the Devil made you do it.' Real forgiveness starts with honest confession of our sins and failures - without excuses. The Bible says, "If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness." (1 John 1:8-9, NLT)

We look at the mess we've created with ill-informed, or selfish, or thoughtless choices and we say, "That's what I did. God help me!" The glorious truth is - He will.

In the book of Romans there is this passage that is packed with promise. Take a look.
"Now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." (Romans 3:21-24, NIV)

God says that the Law of Moses defined the standard we were to live up to in order to be acceptable to Him. We failed miserably. Everyone does! Whatever distinctions of 'us vs. them,' that we might make in this world disappear when God shines the light of His judgment on us and we are found to be 'sinners.' What then? Should we blame our humanity or something else for our predicament? The passage says that the situation is not hopeless, because what I could not do for myself- get right with God - has been done for me by Christ Jesus.

When I respond in faith to His invitation, I am justified! No excuses needed. God declares my sins forgiven and erases the debt and guilt. Yes, as the old phrase says, I am new; just as if I'd never sinned!

Believer, are you wallowing in guilt? Are you still trying to excuse the things you have done that you know are wrong, sinful in the eyes of God and others?
Then, you are living far below where God wants you to live. Choose now to receive the invitation to be made whole and clean.
It is the way to real and lasting change, the only way to become genuinely holy, and therefore, pleasing to God.

Take this Word with you today. Meditate on it for a few moments.

"Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory. We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.

And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners."
(Romans 5:1-6, NLT)
__________________________________

What can wash away my sins?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh, precious is the flow,
that makes me white as snow,
no other fount I know,
nothing but the blood of Jesus.


- public domain

No comments: