Friday, February 02, 2007

Choose the narrow way. Find life!

There is a real case to be made for choosing to live God's way in this world. His way leads to life; and not just eternal life, but to 'abundant life.' With the advantage of having lived a half-century I can say I am so grateful for all those people who, over the years, pointed me to the 'Way' and encouraged me, again and again, to respond to the Spirit's call with a ready 'Yes!' As a result I do not have to live with a ton of regrets and a list of 'what might have beens.' No, I am not polishing my halo! I've made quite a few detours from the Way and done my share of stupid tricks. I've failed God and others from time to time. But, overall, my life has been lived with God as the center and with an overall desire to discover and live in His will. And, to this day, I have no regrets about that. I've missed out on a few experiences as a result of choosing obedience to God over self expression. I have no record of arrests, no skeletons in the closet to hide, and I can look every woman I know in the eyes without shame over what was done in the dark. Living in God's way has kept me from sins that could have prevented me from my enjoyment of a solid marriage, the love of my adult children, a wide circle of friends, and a career in church work that provides more than adequately for my needs. By some measures I suppose my life would not be judged a successful one. I don't have a big retirement account. I live in a comfortable but modest house. I cannot lay any claims to fame. But, it is a good life, full of God's Grace - and that satisfies me.


Please do not read this TFTD as a Pharisee's self-congratulation. I know full well that who I am today and those things that I count to my credit are the result of God's grace and the investment of good people in me. What I am trying to illustrate is that there are good reasons to encourage others to say "yes" to God's invitation to follow Christ. Though there are some hard choices and required self-denial, there are rewards, too. I have to ask: Do we make that case strongly enough? Do we make it plain that life offers us two roads - a wide one that looks great and leads to a dead-end of destruction or a narrow one that looks hard but leads us to a life that is rich and full of those things that are of true and eternal value? Do we talk only about the Cross of Christ and seldom of the Crown of life? Jesus said it plainly: “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:13-14, NKJV)


Perhaps a false modesty causes us to feel that just coming out and saying, "serving Christ is the best way to live and here's why!" I know I am reluctant to say that because I fear that my words will be read as prideful. But if we don't tell others what the Lord has done for us, why would they choose to love and serve Him? The Psalmist says, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out! Tell others he has saved you from your enemies." ... “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress. He led them straight to safety, to a city where they could live. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for all his wonderful deeds to them. For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." (Psalm 107:1-2, 6-9, NLT)


In his letter to the Galatians, Paul contrasts two ways of life. As you read, ask the Spirit of God to lead you to choose the way of life.

" So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."
(Galatians 5:16-25, NIV)

A God-centered, Christ-redeemed, Spirit-filled person will live a life that is demonstrably
different from those who walk apart from God, without His life in them.Does His Light shine in you?
________________________

Proverbs 4:18-19 (The Message)

The ways of right-living people glow with light;
the longer they live, the brighter they shine.
But the road of wrongdoing gets darker and darker—
travelers can’t see a thing; they fall flat on their faces.

No comments: