Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Zeal

The doorbell rang at 6:50 PM and there at my front door, in the cold evening, stood two well-dressed, handsome boys. Their nametags identified them as "Elder ________" and I knew they were Mormon missionaries. When I invited them into the house, out of the chill, they were thankful, polite, and yet still very focused on their work. They respectfully and articulately told me about Mormon faith and tried valiantly to get me to accept a Book of Mormon. Theirs is a tough assignment. They knock on doors to invite people to consider the 'prophetic' claims of Joseph Smith. Though I reject the doctrine of the Mormons whose theology is not orthodox Christianity, the earnestness and devotion of 19 year old kids who give two full years of their lives, living far from home, is something to admire.

In a recent TFTD I reflected on God as a Divine Diversion, One we try to fit between those activities that take higher priority. (see http://jerryscott.blogspot.com/2006/12/divine-diversion.html) It is clear to me that those two boys at my front door have made a priority commitment to their religion, setting aside personal comfort, educational pursuits, relationships, and profit to do what they see as God's work. And I ask myself, am I at least that dedicated to the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? It is a question worth asking ourselves, Believer! How quickly we fall into complacency, overly concerned with ourselves, touchy and sensitive to the slightest inconvenience or perception of offense. Those Mormon boys press on, house to house, with most doors closed in their face, brushed off brusquely even rudely, time and again, but they take no thought of that because they are focused on a goal much higher in their estimation than personal comfort or convenience.

Believer, God has given us the very Words of Life! He has commissioned us to change the world, one person at a time, with His good news - that Christ came once to die for our sins and that He will come again to be the King of Glory. How can we yawn about such a calling? Are we asleep in the Light, dead on our feet OR are we full of zeal, inspired by the Spirit, giving Him our best, our all? In that disturbing book called "The Apocalypse," or the Revelation of Jesus Christ, at the end of the Bible, John hears the words of the King addressed to the various churches of Asia Minor. Those words echo to us today. Read them -
“I see right through your work. You have a reputation for vigor and zest, but you’re dead, stone dead. “Up on your feet! Take a deep breath! Maybe there’s life in you yet. But I wouldn’t know it by looking at your busywork; nothing of God’s work has been completed. Your condition is desperate. Think of the gift you once had in your hands, the Message you heard with your ears—grasp it again and turn back to God.
“If you pull the covers back over your head and sleep on, oblivious to God, I’ll return when you least expect it, break into your life like a thief in the night.
“You still have a few Christians in Sardis who haven’t ruined themselves wallowing in the muck of the world’s ways. They’ll walk with me on parade! They’ve proved their worth! “Conquerors will march in the victory parade, their names indelible in the Book of Life. I’ll lead them up and present them by name to my Father and his Angels. “Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches.”
(Revelation 3:1-6, The Message)

Don't come to the wrong conclusion today. I am not advocating that we all quit our jobs and start going door to door with Bibles! I am repeating the call of the Lord Himself that we take up the commission to "go into all the world and preach the Good News." I am reminding us of the importance of keeping Jesus Christ in the first place in our affections. How we demonstrate our zeal for Him will take many different forms and expressions - humble service in our home, forgiveness for God's sake extended to those who do wrong to us, generosity with our time and resources because of a genuine love for people He creates in us, boldness to speak up about the hope that we have in Christ.

Jesus plainly says to you and to me: "Great crowds were following Jesus. He turned around and said to them, “If you want to be my follower you must love me more than your own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, more than your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. And you cannot be my disciple if you do not carry your own cross and follow me." (Luke 14:25-27, NLT)

What does your life say about your zeal, Believer?
Do your daily choices show that Jesus is Lord of all of your life?

Keith Green, the songwriter whose life ended too soon, a couple of decades ago, penned these words.
They are a confession, a prayer.

My eyes are dry, my faith is old,
My heart is hard, my prayers are cold;
And I know how I ought to be:
Alive to You and dead to me.

But what can be done
With an old heart like mine?
Soften it up with oil and wine
The oil is You, the Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
In the wine of Your blood.

My Eyes Are Dry -- Green, Keith

© 1978 Birdwing Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) / Ears To Hear ΓΌ / BMG Songs, Inc. (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055
Amen!

No comments: