Monday, December 11, 2006

For whom do you sing?

In his book, The Cry of the Soul, Dan Allender tells the true story of Tom, a young preacher fresh out of seminary, who was struggling to be effective in the pulpit. One day a man from the congregation showed up in Tom's office with 7 tapes in hand. "Week after week we listen to you drone on. Your preaching is killing us and you're going to destroy this church." He pushed the tapes into Tom's hands with the admonition that he should listen to the speaker on them and learn his style! Of course the next Sunday in the pulpit was torture for Tom. Try as he may, he could not see anyone in the congregation except his critic and that man seemed to be glaring at him. His mouth was dry and there was knot in his stomach. Such is the stuff of fear! After that service, he was standing by the door greeting the departing congregants. The last person to leave was an elderly woman. She approached with a stern expression on her face. "I don't know what's gotten into you, Tom, but you are preaching to please someone in this church. I want you to go to your study immediately and repent. Next week, just preach to please God!"

Most of us are performing for somebody: saying the things that we hope will earn their approval, trying to do a job that will assure our value as an employee, even telling ourselves, "I'm OK," and then trying prove it with money, beauty, awards, or whatever we believe worthy. Such a life is marked by the sin of idol worship! We have put someone else or Self in the place at the center of our life that only God should occupy. There's another problem with living that way, too. Fear and her cousin, inferiority, are our constant companion. If we measure our worth as a person by what we do or by what others say of us, the prize almost always slips from our grasp. One critic drowns out the voices of a hundred who praise us. Someone in life's competition shows up to outwit, out race, or out shine us just when we think we're about to win. And even if we do 'win,' our victory is soon eclipsed by another's performance.

The Scripture declares - "Those who fear the Lord are secure; he will be a place of refuge for their children. Fear of the Lord is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death." (Proverbs 14:26-27, NLT) When God says, "Fear Me alone!" - He is not asking us to live in terror. He wants us to live for His approval alone. "Skilled living gets its start in the Fear-of-God, insight into life from knowing a Holy God." (Proverbs 9:10, The Message) Oh, that we would believe that. It is true! Yes, it is amazingly, wonderfully true. If we are living for God and God alone, much of the silly posturing that we put ourselves through, drops away. We don't have to work so hard at concealing our true selves and creating an image we think that others will like. We no longer attempt to 'look good,' for if we are living and working for God, we actually become good because of the love of Jesus Christ and the life of the Holy Spirit.

Friend, I write this as one who knows what it is to fall into the idolatry of the fear of man! I have spent more than a few days in the grip of critics, squeezed into their expectations, but unable to fit there comfortably. I've spent many days dancing feverishly to win the applause of those who surround me. Sometimes I've succeeded and drank from the cup of their affirmation, but the refreshment I find there is short-lived and soon, I thirst for more, and even more intensely than I did before.

Then, too, I can say I have experienced the warm smile of God. I have known what it is to just be who He wants me to be, not perfectly, but none-the-less accepted in His love. What rest, what joy, what wholeness is found in that place. My prayer is that He would deliver me from idols and fill all my vision!

Today, take a look at your life. Listen to your conversation. Whose praise are you seeking? Whose approval matters most -- God's or that of the people around you?

Pray that the 'fear of the Lord will become a life-giving fountain,' so that as you are at rest and at peace, whole, healed, and satisfied - you will pour that peace and wholeness into the world in which you walk today.
Soli Deo Gloria! (For the glory of God alone!)
________________

Be Thou my Vision,
O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me,
Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought,
By day or by night,
Waking or sleeping,
Thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not,
Nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance,
Now and always:
Thou and Thou only,
First in my heart,
High King of heaven,
My Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven,
My victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys,
O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart,
Whatever befall,
Still be my Vision,
O Ruler of all.


© Public Domain

No comments: