Friday, September 15, 2006

Don't you know who I am?

An incident from about thirty years ago still makes me smile with amusement at the arrogance that gripped me back then. (Hopefully, it's moderated some by time and the Spirit's influence.) The family and I were headed home from Sunday worship at the church where I was the newly minted Associate Pastor, very impressed with my new position and title. I took pleasure in signing everything - Rev. Jerry Scott! I pulled out of the church parking lot and accelerated much too fast for the residential street. Seconds later, I saw the flashing lights of a police cruiser in the rearview mirror. When the young officer stepped up to my window, I said, "Don't you know who I am?" I'd heard about 'clergy courtesy' and figured I deserved it! He didn't care if I was the Princes of Wales and handed me a speeding ticket, as he should have.

The Bible says that some people have a mistaken notion that when they come before the Lord in the Judgment, they will be exempt from accountability because of their religious reputation. Take a look. Jesus said, “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" (Matthew 7:21-23, NIV) Amazing and sobering, isn't it? Religious practices won't exempt you or me from the Lord's judgment. The fact that we knew the right words, or even that we did some of the right things, won't cause the Lord of Glory to hand us the key to His house. "But, Lord, don't you know who I am? I'm the guy who got the perfect attendance award from Sunday School when I was a kid. I gave $thousands to charities. I served on the church board for years." He'll be unimpressed, because it is possible to do all those right things for all the wrong reasons.

Jesus Christ wants to know you and me, to walk with us, to shape our lives by His daily Presence. There is a story from the book of the Acts where Peter and John were hauled into a court to answer for their teaching of Christ as Lord. These men, who had no seminary degrees, who were unsophisticated, offered an amazing defense of their doctrine. The Council sent them out of the room and conferred, coming to this conclusion - "they took note that they had been with Jesus!" (4.13) The difference was the relationship. Yes, Believer, that still is the remarkable difference. Those who are full of religion may accomplish much, driven by the need to prove their goodness or even by a keen sense of humanitarian concern, but they will not have the fragrance of the Lord's Presence about them. They will not ultimately find themselves in God's graces, either. When they ask, "Don't You know who I am?" Jesus will honestly have to say, "No. You never spent anytime with me."

Ah, friend, do you know Him? The question is not - do you know about Him?
How long has it been since you just spent time loving Him, not doing anything, not working, not singing, not serving ... just loving Him?
Yes, it is true, that when we love Him, we will serve Him. Our devotion to Christ will find expression in the ways we serve others. BUT, we must not make the mistake of trusting in our own goodness, in our long list of church accomplishments as proof of our acceptability to God. If we do, we will become pious frauds or worse. Let God love you today. Invite the Spirit to come close and receive the grace of God!

Here's a word from the Word. Pray for the Spirit's wisdom to understand it. And then, revel in the Love of Christ which makes you holy and acceptable in the sight of God.
"But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so very much, that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s special favor that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ, and we are seated with him in the heavenly realms—all because we are one with Christ Jesus.

And so God can always point to us as examples of the incredible wealth of his favor and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us through Christ Jesus. God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
(Ephesians 2:4-10, NLT)

If you have believed, received, and lived in love for Him - you will never have to ask, "Do You know who I am?" Instead, when it comes your time to 'go home,' you will be met by the angels of Glory who will usher you into the Presence of your beloved Lord, who will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Come and share your Master's happiness." (Matthew 25:21)

No comments: