Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Father's provision

Pete and Chris (my son-in-law and daughter) came to visit this week. Their old car is tired, needing replacement so Chris asked me if I'd assist them in the search for a replacement. Yesterday, we spent the late afternoon and well into the evening looking at cars. It was my delight to walk through the process with them; helping them with negotiations, with understanding financing, and just being "Dad." They thanked me profusely for the assistance, but their thanks was not necessary. That's what Dad's are for. It was far more fun for me to be included in their purchase than they realize because it lets me feel useful to them despite their adult independence. The chances to feel needed in that way are fewer all the time!

As I thought about our adventure this morning, the Holy Spirit whispered to me- "that's how your Heavenly Dad feels about you." What an amazing fact. God is MY Father and He delights in being part of my life, too. The Almighty Maker of Heaven and Earth desires to walk with me, to provide for me; yes, to be my Counselor. The Bible says, "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. So you should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God’s very own children, adopted into his family—calling him “Father, dear Father.” For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God’s children." (Romans 8:14-16, NLT)

Tragically, too many people, even Believers, do not grasp the Father-heart of God. They do not understand that He is their Dad. Yet, it is right and proper to use that familiar term with Him and for Him. Paul does! In that passage where the translators say, "Father, dear Father," in other translations we read, "Abba." The term is one that reflects the deep intimacy which God offers to us as His children. It is only sin that causes us to run away from His Presence. It is only the terror of judgment that causes us to hide from Him. But, where sin is taken away by the gracious gift of grace in Jesus Christ, fear is replaced with deep love. To the forgiven God says, "Come boldly to my Throne and find the help you need!" (Hebrews 4.16)

What's your need today?
What is of concern to you? Take it to Dad! Literally, as you respectfully enter into prayer, address Him as "Dad in Heaven." I'm not being silly, though you might feel that way when you say it. It is good practice to let God love you in that way, based on sound theology! Yes, He desires the best for you. He won't always give you what you want, but He'll provide everything you need.

The number one healing truth in the universe is the 'love of God!' Nothing else comes close. I am convinced that is why the world, the sinful nature, and the Devil combine their efforts to keep us at a distance from our Father. If we fail to have a growing understanding of His compassion, His grace, His love - our Christianity will always be skewed. We will live at a distance, robbing ourselves of the rich fellowship He offers. I seldom can talk about the Father's love without becoming emotionally moved, often to the point of tears. That is how precious His love has become to me. I lived as a dutiful son for far too long. For too many years I was like the elder brother in the story of the Waiting Father. (Read it in Luke 15:11-32. It's the best story Jesus ever told!) I reminded God of my rigid self-disciplines, my 'goodness,' and of my sense that He owed me. What a joke; no worse, an obscenity! I was a sinful wretch and, actually, in all my self-righteousness, treated His love with contempt. Then, His love broke through my pretensions of self-sufficiency and prideful religiosity. Oh, how I thank Him for patiently letting me live long enough to come to the end of myself, so I would experience the amazing grace and love He offers freely to me at His own expense.

"With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven, Reveal who you are.
Set the world right; Do what’s best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want! You’re ablaze in beauty! Yes. Yes. Yes."

(Matthew 6:9-13, The Message)

Amen.

No comments: