Thursday, June 01, 2006

Too tired even to think?

When I picked up my Bible this morning and tried to read, my mind was closed. I saw the words on the page, but they just bounced off my brain. No, it is not a crisis of faith, nor is it intellectual deterioration, though some might want to argue that point. (smile) I'm just tired! It's been a season of high demand, of extended ministry, of family needs. So, for weeks now, I have not been able to hit the 'off' button for any real breaks. When I see a long stretch of work in front of me, my natural response is to press the accelerator, to try to go faster to get it all done more quickly. But, that's not the best way, as I've learned over time. God's wisdom asks us to endure, to patiently pace ourselves, and to wait on Him as we pray for His will to unfold.

Since my mind resisted study of the Word this morning, I turned to a familiar passage, one I know well and that is filled with promise and hope. Here it is:

"God lasts. He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind. "
(Isaiah 40:28-31, The Message)

In moments of fatigue, we can easily alienate ourselves from the people who could best support us and help us meet the needs that are making such demands of us. Temptation comes to us when our strength is depleted offering us apparent relief from the pressures. When we're really exhausted, we might even begin to think that God has left us. But the Word assures us that everybody has times when the demands of life are high, when the pressure is on.

So what does God ask of us in those moments? Go faster, work harder? No! He says, that "those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength." (Isaiah 40:31, NIV) That phrase is translated in various ways in different Bible versions. In place of 'hope,' some translation say 'wait.' Others say 'trust.' The Hebrew of the original text connotes being expectant, to anticipate; hence to wait hopefully! Since that is God's counsel, we would be wise to let it speak to us, wouldn't we?

I'll make time this day to 'wait' for Him, to quiet my heart and mind, to listen carefully to Him - yes, even to worship. And, I know from experience that the next part of that passage is true. There will be 'fresh strength!' Yes, as the Spirit blows over me, I'll be lifted like an eagle is lifted on the air currents under his wings.

Are you tired, too, my friend? Has life demanded much of you recently, drawing down your resources?
Be aware of the Tempter's efforts to seduce you from the very Presence of the One who can renew your strength.
Make time to wait and worship. Re-arrange your priorities to include the important, not merely to address the urgent.

Psalm 46:1-7 (NIV)
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

No comments: