Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Blessed assurance!

Don't you love the sense of confidence that comes from being 'well-connected' - that is resourced and protected by another person? For example, think of a little child who has a sense of security in her home, whose father is strong and present in her life. she will likely deal with the taunts on the playground much more easily than the child without the same resource. A person who is having a rough go in life at work, who has a supportive spouse that provides affirmation in the home, will have a much easier time navigating the rapids! A person starting up a new business with a partner who has deep pockets will sleep better.

Believer, have you realized that you have a rich, strong Father? Did you know that you have a Partner in Christ that is your best Friend? I believe that one of more debilitating experiences for the Christian is to lose his sense of God's Presence, to lose the assurance that he is under the care of a benevolent God who cares about the needs, the trials, the successes of his life.

Sometimes by our own willful disobedience we break the fellowship with the Father that provides us with security, don't we? Ephesians 4 warns us not to 'grieve the Holy Spirit.' The Word teaches - "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." (Psalm 66:18, NIV) We cannot dismiss the Spirit's appeal to us to change our ways and expect to enjoy the intimate fellowship of God's presence in our lives.

Then, there are those times when the pressures and problems that come our way are like the black clouds that block the bright rays of the sun. I sometimes fall into that place from which I just cannot reach God! A combination of fatigue and fear come over me and I begin to wonder, "does God really care about me?" He is patient with me in those moments. I've learned to turn to other Believers when my faith is weak, or my strength is gone. The prayers of the saints become the support that I lean on, letting them surround me. I don't mean any disrespect for the things of the Lord, but sometimes I need "Jesus with skin on!"

His loving care is shown to me by people who are filled with the Spirit. An actual touch, an expression of concern, goes a long, long way in reminding me that God is still there - though hidden for the moment in behind the clouds. This is, my good friend, one of the best arguments for building close relationship with other Believers within the context of the Church! A Christian who is attempting a solo journey to Heaven is foolishly abandoning one of his most important sources of encouragement. The Word urges us to "keep on encouraging each other to be thoughtful and to do helpful things. Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord’s coming is getting closer." (Hebrews 10:24-25, CEV)

Here's a word from the Word. Meditate on it for a while.
Let the powerful promise soak your soul with the peace of God.

"I will proclaim the name of the LORD.
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."
(Deuteronomy 32:3-4, NIV)

"For the people of Israel belong to the Lord;
Jacob is his special possession.
"He found them in a desert land, in an empty, howling wasteland.
He surrounded them and watched over them;
he guarded them as his most precious possession.
Like an eagle that rouses her chicks and hovers over her young,
so he spread his wings to take them in and carried them aloft on his pinions.
" (Deuteronomy 32:9-11, NLT)
___________________________________________

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Tho the night deepens and tempest are wild;
Still I can trust Him, I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me and I am His child.

Under His wings, Under His wings
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, What a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort and there I am blest.

Under His wings, O what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide 'til life's trials are o'er!
Sheltered, protected!
No evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus; I'm safe evermore.

© Public Domain CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: