Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Patiently?

Yesterday, I tore into the pile of mulch in my driveway at warp speed, delivering it to the flowerbeds around the house as fast as my friends could spread it. Why the need for speed? I don't know! I just wanted to 'get it done!' Then, I tried to start the leaf blower to clean up the dust left on the drive. It wouldn't fire... even after a couple of dozens of pulls. I could feel my level of irritation rising. I was tempted to toss the blower across the yard. Of course, that would have been doubly dumb, wouldn't it? I've lived long enough to know that I have to work at giving things time to work out. This is one of those months when, in my life, there is a whole lot of unfinished business. As a result, I have to commit and re-commit my way to the Lord, asking Him to work on me, and in me, so that I will not rush ahead into folly!

Truthfully, I do not know many people who enjoy waiting - especially the kind of waiting that involves big challenges, lots of pain, or apparently intractable problems. Be it war, cancer, or raising teenagers- waiting for an answer, some resolution, or an end; is not easy. God operates on a different schedule than you and me, doesn't He? I must admit that there are times when I want Him to act NOW. I tire of waiting and waiting for His will and work to be done. The Psalmist shared that impatience.

O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?

Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
Restore the light to my eyes, or I will die.
Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying,
“We have defeated him!”Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall
.- Psalm 13:1-4 (NLT)

Desperation fills that song, doesn't it? Is it anguish or impatience that fuels that refrain, "how long, how long, how long?" No matter. Read on for the Psalmist's conclusion.

But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.

I will sing to the Lord because he has been so good to me. -Psalm 13:5-6 (NLT)

God's unfailing love is the hope of the harried, the rest for the weary, the source of serenity for those strained by life!Take charge of your restless mind, your turbulent soul, and wait for the Lord.This morning, precisely because I know the pressures to which I will be subjected today, I carved out a time alone with God. I sat quietly in His Presence and waited!I prayed for eyes to see the long view, the willingness to wait for Him without complaint. I know that in time not very distant my song will change. He will act, just as He has done in the past.
My new song will be:

I waited patiently for the LORD;
He turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust!
- Psalm 40:1-4 (NIV)

Wait on Him. He has not forsaken you. He knows your need and He will meet it - in His time, in His way.

No comments: