Monday, April 24, 2006

"Me, Myself, and I"

Our grandsons, ages 2 and 4, are at that stage in life when they are possessive - "It's my toy," but not yet mature enough to understand the concept of sharing. My son tells me that they fight, raising a racket in the house. Ah, I remember the days so well! Seems that some of us never really do grow up. I know adults that approach life like a 2 year old - "It's mine!" - insisting on holding onto things, positions, titles, ministries, etc. for no other reason than than their own ego needs.

Sometimes it's just about control. A friend was describing his unpleasant encounter with his neighbor over the erection of a fence. He got a survey map and determined where the property line was. Then he put up a fence. The neighbor went ballistic, over a whole 3 feet of land. Despite the map, he wanted to exercise control over that little strip of property. Then, too, I've watched my grandsons hold onto one toy while trying to play with another. Why? Just so the other can't have it!

Sometimes it's about making a statement. A few years ago I discovered that an employee of an organization that I headed was using false credentials, claiming to hold an advanced degree. I was familiar with the institution from which he said he had earned the doctorate and knew that they didn't offer a degree in that field. So, I asked him to produce a transcript to substantiate his claim. He walked out the door and never returned! I later learned he was still claiming to be Dr. ________! He needed to be somebody more than he needed his integrity.

Sometimes it's about affirmation. "Please notice me, tell me I'm important." Over the years I've more than a few people who did all the right things for all the wrong reasons. They put in hundreds of hours in their ministry. They gave 'til it hurt. They built up 'ministries' - but not for the Lord, not to serve others. Their true motive? Recognition! The tragic thing about that is that ego always spoils the work, casts a shadow over all the good that is done. The agenda gets twisted into being about the person's needs rather than about the needs of those being 'served.' Often everybody knows it, except the person who is so desperate to be needed and affirmed.

Jesus knew how powerful the pull of selfishness is and so He taught about it. Read the following passage carefully, thoughtfully, prayerfully. And, hey, don't start to think, "I sure hope ______ is reading this." Invite the Spirit to shine the light on your own motives.

“Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you. Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don’t make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won’t be applauding. When you do something for someone else, don’t call attention to yourself. You’ve seen them in action, I’m sure—‘playactors’ I call them—treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that’s all they get. When you help someone out, don’t think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out." (Matthew 5:48-6:4, The Message)

Practice the discipline of humility. Serve somebody anonymously!
Do something like cleaning up the bathroom without telling anybody. That's not pleasant, is it? Find a way to serve, in your set of circumstances, where there is no possibility of being recognized. Thank God for the opportunity to learn humility. When we practice that kind of discipline regularly, it breaks the very nature "me, myself, and I" orientation of our sinful nature. It patterns our mind and heart to be like Jesus. As we struggle with our pride, we become desperate and that causes us to rely on the Spirit for change.

Here's a word from the Word for today.

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name." (Philippians 2:5-9, NKJV)
______________

Father, I'm proud, but not proud of it.
I love applause, eat up affirmation, and like to be first.
Holy Spirit, restrain those impulses from shaping the way I 'serve' others.
Put them to death in me so that Your work through me is never stained with pride's ugliness.
Make me a servant, thoughtless of the reward, content in obedience.
Let me live in harmony with others,
seeking only the praise and glory of my Savior, Jesus,
in whose Name I make this prayer. Amen."

No comments: