Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Change - in you or your place?

Recently I had a conversation with a discouraged pastor who told me that he had concluded that his work in the church he served was finished. He had prepared his resume and put it out to other churches. He was praying for a change. As we talked, I discerned that he wasn't really certain that he was making the right choice. He was reacting to his inner pain. How many times have you prayed for God to change your situation? Dozens, hundreds? Me, too! We become convinced that the only answer to a problem is a change of face or place; a new job, a different town, a new church, etc. Sometimes that is needed, however we need to consider that God's plan may be to use us as a catalyst for change right where we are! That may well require that we engage ourselves in painful situations, or with difficult people. A primary model of this is the Lord Jesus and His choice to accept God's plan to save the world. On the night before He died on the cross, He prayed - “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine.”" (Luke 22:41-42, NLT) You're objecting, "Jerry, I can't identify with that! I'm not Jesus with a call to die for the sins of the world!" That is true, but we are called to die to self as we walk the way of the Lord! Many years ago, a good friend and I were talking about a hard choice he faced. It was clear to him what the God-honoring decision was and it was clear to me that he in for a road of difficulty. He wisely said, "Jerry, called me to obedience, not happiness. I am convinced that there is joy for me in my obedience."

For many people feeling good, being happy, is the ultimate goal, the highest value in life. If a situation causes them to feel pain and/or stress, it must be changed. This emphasis on 'being happy, regardless of the needs of others,' leads many to an empty life of little accomplishment, shallow relationships, and meager character! Of course, we need to acknowledge that it doesn't make much sense to do something the hard way, just because it is more difficult. The polar opposite of the pleasure-seeker is the masochist who seeks pain and/or difficulty because he thinks that the only way to pleasure is through suffering. Finding gratification or pleasure in pain is not natural! Generally, pain signals disease or dysfunction, thus it follows that the right response to pain is to seek to alleviate the suffering. And yet, there are times when God allows us to live with pain, when He calls on us to walk a road that is narrow and steep, in order to accomplish a greater good in us or through us in the world! When that is His plan, though we may not feel happiness, we will have joy!

The Bible says that Jesus made choice to walk up Calvary to die and on the other side of that awful place He found joy. We are encouraged to be willing to make similar choices. "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:2-3, NIV)

Are you preparing to 'move on' from where you are seeking happiness elsewhere?
Have you prayed about your plans, sincerely asking God what His will is? You may be right in looking for new opportunities!

But would you even consider that you may be in just the right place, the person He purposes to use as a change agent in that company, that neighborhood, that church? Believer, before you make a change- seek God! Your life is not yours, you belong to Him and live for His purposes. So, be proactive in prayer. Outline your problem to God. Acknowledge the real pain you feel in the situation. Tell the Lord that you're feeling like another place, a new opportunity is just what you need. Then, listen carefully - to the Spirit, to the counsel of godly friends. Make sure your choices are conformed to the principles of the Scripture. Consider the model of Jesus, willing to allow that God may be leading you through the situation rather than around it!

Remember, happiness is external and therefore temporary.
Joy is an evidence of God's Spirit at work in us, an inner quality, and therefore, lasting!
Seek JOY!
___________________

Change my heart, oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, oh God,
May I be like You.
You are the potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
This is what I pray.

Change my heart, oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, oh God,
May I be like You.

Change My Heart, Oh God

Author: Espinosa, Eddie
Copyright: 1982 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)

No comments: