Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"Oh, Jesus."

There was time in my life when I worried a lot about the structure of my prayers. I read many books on praying looking for a method that 'worked.' Note that word for it was the operative one about prayer in my understanding. Prayer was less a talk with a friend and more a kind of business transaction, a negotiation with Heaven, that - if done right - would produce the desired result. What an inadequate, immature concept. As I grew in Christ, I began to simply talk with Jesus - much as I would talk with any friend. Now, some of my prayers are long earnest conversations, and some are more like short 'emails' of the moment. Paradoxically, the less obsessed I am about 'making something happen,' the more I see God at work in my life and in the world around me!

Now I have some of my best talks with Jesus at 3 am! They aren't coherent, neatly formed, and logically presented prayers. When I awaken at that hour with my head full of concerns for the people I lead and love and questions about how to lead the church to be the Body He desires- "How should I address that situation? What can I do for that one in need? Which way should we go?" - in the darkness, I just begin to talk with Jesus. The conversation meanders along the stream of consciousness in my mind, much like a chat with a friend over a cup of coffee. And, I've got to tell you that I find such rest in those early morning conversations.

Yesterday, as I drove to the hospital to visit a friend in the ER who was waiting for a diagnosis that included some serious possibilities, I just kept repeating, "Oh, Jesus!" It was a sigh from my soul, a nearly wordless expression of my need, my longing for His touch! I knew that I didn't have to prepare a news release for Heaven, nor did I have to argue with Him all the reasons He needed to do this or that. I just wanted my Friend in Heaven to be near to my friend on earth, to hold her hand, just like He holds mine. "Oh, Jesus," seemed a fittingly simple expression from my heart!

When Jesus taught about prayer, He was so direct, so clear, about the need to keep it simple. I wonder why I fell into the foolishness of formulaic prayer for so long? Why didn't I accept His invitation to a living conversation? Maybe it was just being steeped in the religion of Christianity that made me ignorant to the mystical relationship to which He invited me. Take a look at His words.

“The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God.
Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply.
Like this:
Our Father in heaven, Reveal who you are.
Set the world right; Do what’s best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge! You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty! Yes. Yes. Yes." (Matthew 6:7-13, The Message)


The way that I prayed began to change right around the time that I had a grace awakening, when I came to the end of myself, and through the revelation of the Spirit came to know that God really did love me - warts and all! For a long time, He was my Savior and even my Lord, but not my Friend. I just couldn't grasp that!

Have you had a grace awakening? Do you know that He loves you? He does!! And it's not a dutiful love, nor is it just a generalized love. He knows your name, your heart; yes even 'the very number of the hairs on your head.' He wants to walk and talk with you. When you accept Him as a your Friend, your prayers will change - I guarantee it!
____________________________

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear.
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.


What A Friend We Have In Jesus;
Scriven, Joseph M. / Converse, Charles C.
Copyright: Public Domain

No comments: