Thursday, December 08, 2005

"Come, follow Me!"

When I was a little boy, my Dad took me to Wyoming, to remote areas far off of the roads, where we visited shepherds tending large flocks of sheep! Yes, it's true. There in the mountains near Buffalo, WY, were men who lived alone in little houses on wheels, caring for their sheep 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They were Basque immigrants, from an ancient culture in the Pyrenees Mountains on the border of Spain and France. Their people had a long tradition of being outstanding shepherds. These men, helped only by their amazing dogs, made certain that the sheep in their care were kept safe and provided with pasture. Their constant presence caused those sheep to respond even to their voice! I watched as a single shepherd called his flock, sent his dog to round up stragglers, and moved hundreds of sheep from place to place in open range. It is an amazing memory still vivid in my mind after 40 years time.

Jesus says to us, "Come, follow me!" He defines His relationship to us saying, "I am the Gate for the sheep. ... Anyone who goes through me will be cared for—will freely go in and out, and find pasture. ... I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of. “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd puts the sheep before himself, sacrifices himself if necessary." (John 10:7-11, The Message) Go back and read that passage again.

Many voices call to us, inviting us to follow them. There are dictatorial voices that demand much of us, but return nothing, wanting only to selfishly take from us. There are deceptive voices that want to mis-lead us into destruction, their plans shaped by twisted purposes of evil. There are conflicting voices, a cacophony of noise that leaves us spinning in confusion if we try to follow them. But there is One Voice that invites us to - "Come, follow me. ... I am the Good Shepherd." Sheep, left alone on the open range, without a shepherd will come to a terrible end! Predators will kill them off, one by one. They will stay in one area, over-grazing the land, until they have exhausted their food supply. But, a well-shepherded flock, thrives.

"Come, follow me."
Will you take Jesus up on His invitation? It's an invitation to adventure, to life that is purposeful and meaningful, and - best of all - to a relationship! He promises that if we follow Him, He will never leave us. He does not promise that we will never be attacked by wolves, go through violent storms, or experience difficult days! He says we won't face those challenges alone. "I'll be there," He says, "caring for you." Don't let the drive to 'do something for God" obscure the invitation to "know God!" Yes, as follow the Good Shepherd, there will be service we do for Him and in His Name, but relationship with Him, must precede the mission for Him.

Worship Him. Listen to Him. FOLLOW Him. And, you will 'have real and eternal life, more and better life than you ever dreamed.' That's the truth.
_________________________

The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.

He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk through the dark valley of death,
I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23, NLT)

No comments: