Friday, November 11, 2005

My Advocate

My phone rang in the evening and there was a reporter on the other end of the line. His question snapped me to attention - "Mr. Scott, are you aware a lawsuit has been filed against you?" I wasn't and the call left me unsettled. A couple of days later I was served court papers that outlined a person's case against me. I needed help! I'm no expert on the legal system and didn't know what to do next, so I called my lawyer. As much as our society pokes fun at lawyers, I sure was glad to have one to shepherd me through the next couple of years, until the case was resolved. Recently another legal issue arose in the church and I contacted my lawyer, Mr. Glynn, once again for advice. His counsel is valuable, potentially keeping us from an expensive legal battle.

In 1 John, there is a metaphor borrowed from the legal system to help us to understand Jesus' work on our behalf. "... if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2:1, NKJV) In God's Presence, Jesus Christ stands right now pleading my case, making a defense, on my behalf! He is my advocate. The word in the original text is parakletos and it describes one who came alongside of another in a time of need, in a lawyerly and/or priestly sense.

We have a great need of an Advocate because we sin, that is, we fall short of God's standard for our life. Not me, you say? You think that because you're a little better than another, you are beyond the need for an Advocate before God? Think again. John says that none of us should be fooled into thinking we are beyond sinning. "If we claim that we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. ... If we claim that we’ve never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God." (1 John 1:8-10, The Message) Sin is not just defined by the obvious moral failures, things like adultery or theft. Sin includes serving self, ignoring God's will, and failing to do the good we know we ought to do.

When our conscience is stung with guilt, when the Holy Spirit has withdrawn His comforting Presence, we call on our Advocate! He comes to our side and presents a defense to the Father, not one based on the promise of our future goodness or on something we will do to 'make it up' to God. Amazingly, His defense of us is based on His own sacrifice. Yes, He points to His offering and says, "Father forgive Jerry, because I've already paid the penalty for his sins and failures." Jesus graciously allows you and me to 'borrow' from His store of goodness making us clean and whole before God. This is the essence of grace!

John cautions us against abusing that wonderful goodness of our Advocate. He urges us to 'walk in the light,' to take the strength and goodness of Jesus Christ into our lives so that we are changed, so that we sin less! Note that word. Not that we become 'sinless' for that cannot happen as long as we are alive and still dealing with our old sinful nature. However, as we live in close intimacy with God, trusting in our Advocate, the Spirit causes us to 'sin less' as we look forward to our eternal home, which Jesus will bring to us.

Take note of the interplay of hope and realization, of both future and present promise in this passage. "Yes, dear friends, we are already God’s children, and we can’t even imagine what we will be like when Christ returns. But we do know that when he comes we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is. And all who believe this will keep themselves pure, just as Christ is pure. Those who sin are opposed to the law of God, for all sin opposes the law of God. And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, for there is no sin in him. So if we continue to live in him, we won’t sin either. But those who keep on sinning have never known him or understood who he is." (1 John 3:2-6, NLT)

Has the notice of your indictment as a sinner in God's court unsetttled you? It should! The Bible is very clear that there will be persons seperated from God and good for eternity by sin. It isn't just the terrible, the horrible that are under the 'curse.' It is a universal human problem. Call on the Advocate!

Then, restored to the love of your Father, live a life that is increasingly holy.
_______________________

Friend of sinners, Lord of truth,
I am falling in love with You.
Friend of sinners, Lord of truth,
I have fallen in love with You.

Jesus, I love Your name,
The name by which we're saved.
Jesus, I love Your name,
The name by which we're saved.

Friend of sinners, Lord of truth,
I am giving my life to You.
Friend of sinners, Lord of truth,
I have given my life to You.

© 1994 Kingsway's Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: