Friday, October 14, 2005

"Come, rest!"

With a mind full of cares and concerns, both big and small, I sank to my knees, buried my face in my hands, and breathed out a kind of sigh and prayer, "Jesus." For me, in that moment, just His name was a prayer. He heard me and my soul felt peace, steadied by the embrace of the One who loves me most. In the middle of a day full of responsibility, He breathed strength into me so that I could go and do what needed to be done. Then, again, last night as I lay down to sleep, I 'heard' the voice (no, not audibly, but that inner voice of God's Spirit speaking to my spirit) inviting me to rest in Him. He whispered, "Just let me lead. I know the way and, whatever demands present themselves to you, I will be there with wisdom and resources. I love you, son." In that moment of quietness, I freshly realized the treasure I have in knowing, personally, the love of God. What does a person do who does not know that she can pray that name of Jesus? How does a weary man find rest in this world that is so full of strain and stress if he does not know that God cares?

Perhaps as you read about the embrace of the Lord, of the Spirit's voice, the words seem contrived or silly or simply the work of a vivid imagination. I assure you, it's not! I am not a man given to wild flights of imagination or trips through fantasy land. He can reveal to us, in the depths of our spirit, what we cannot know by observation or conclusion, what we cannot see with our eyes or hear with our ears! He loves and we can love Him. That intimate communion with the Lord of Heaven is the Treasure of Life!

Jesus tenderly says, to each of us: “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

There is a paradox in His words that once eluded my understanding. The 'unforced rhythms of grace' let a person get much more accomplished than the uptight drumbeat of drivenness! I used to think that if I 'let up' even a little my performance would suffer, that I wouldn't get the necessary things in life accomplished. The world is a place full of evil and suffering and I knew that He had commissioned those of us who call Him Savior and Lord to make a difference for good and righteousness sake. So I worked hard, but not always smartly! Too much of the time I let my work get in the way of the Lord's work. With sweat and frustration I tried to get it done, to make things happen, to assure that goals were met. I was often stressed and depressed, exhausted and exhausting!

"Come to me, Jerry." The invitation is not to early retirement, to perpetual slumber. He goes on to say, "Work with me!" Jesus invites us to learn how to work steadily, to be tired, but not exhausted; to give it our all, but not to feel that life has been sucked from us.

Are you weary today? Do you wonder if you can take another day, if you can hear one more report of human need/suffering without screaming?Let me urge you to take a "Jesus" break. Carve time for personal worship into that busy schedule. Break away from the grind to be among other Believers in corporate worship, attending to worship with your full attention.
In worship, you will find that His demands are not those of a cruel tyrant. Don't think of Him like that, for if you do, bitterness will creep into your heart. Instead, thank Him for fitting you for service, and for His promise of renewal of strength.

"But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind. "
(Isaiah 40:31, The Message)
___________________

Sunday, 10/16, is a Ministry Expo at the Assembly.
You're invited!
Come and learn what this congregation does in the Kingdom. Learn how we can serve you, and how you can serve Him with us!
See you at Church!

No comments: