Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Zonked?

"Doonesbury" is one of my daily stops along the way through the newspaper. One of the inhabitants of the comic strip is Zonker Harris, who once described college as 'nine of the best years of my life.' Ironically, he does his best to be the proto-typical loser, resisting the challenge of being a productive member of the human race, focusing all of his skills on 'important' things like getting the most uniform suntan in Malibu. In a recent series, Zonker attempted to hold a real job but found the challenge of busing tables at a restaurant beyond his stamina.

I am the anti-Zonker! It is tough for me to take a whole day off, never mind focusing on something as trivial as shooting in the low-80's on the golf course! My work-aholism is not necessarily admirable; but I am glad that my life has a higher purpose. I am engaged in a life and death struggle to build the kingdom of God. Sounds dramatic, doesn't it? It isn't! It is very pedestrian, a war that is primarily waged in my choices to do the right thing, moment by moment, in my heart, my home, my marriage, my ministry. Most of the time, this isn't about epic battles and headline grabbing moments that change the course of world history. Truthfully, in my quest to do God's will, on some days I am more successful than others. I am determined, however, to live for the ultimate win, by God's grace.

Paul urges all of us to get a grasp of the eternal issues that are involved in 'ordinary' daily decisions, to see our lives as the field where God meets evil, and to choose to be a winner for Him. Read his words slowly, with understanding.... "Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." He asks the Corinthians, "Have you been down to the stadium and watched the athletes there?" Drawing on that metaphor, he states, "They put themselves through all kinds of rigorous exercise to win a prize that last just a season. We are pursuing a prize that will last into Eternity."

That means getting serious about life. And how does Paul do that? Take a look... "Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (1 Corinthians 9:23-27, NIV) What a phrase! "I beat my body!" Sounds a little twisted, doesn't it? No, not really. He acknowledges that to push for the eternal win, the appetites of the body will have to be subjugated to the work of the Spirit. Our bodies whine and whimper, demanding that we coddle and comfort them, that we indulge their desires for food, sex, pleasure, and sleep.

Don't go off the deep end yet. There's nothing wrong with keeping well-fed, making love to your spouse, or getting a good night's rest. I don't think that the medieval ascetics who lived in bug-infested, cold rooms without bathing were on the right track towards spiritual victory, either! But, creature comforts aren't the highest goals in life. In Zonker's world, which is where a lot of people live, they are the meaning of life. For the Believer, they are secondary to doing God's will so that the Kingdom of God prevails.

Are living for the real win or are you Zonked, avoiding the hard issues by losing yourself in trivial pursuits?

"Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally.
I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line.
I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me!
I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. "(1 Corinthians 9:24-27, The Message)

No comments: