Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How to lose your joy

Bev and I walk a circuit through our neighborhood several times each week enjoying the sunshine, and hopefully, helping ourselves stay healthy. On one of those walks last week, I took note of a very big boat next to a large, beautiful house. I heard a little voice in my head, "Don't you wish you could afford a toy like that?" I listened to the voice and soon, a chorus formed in my brain that sang about the things I didn't have, loudly and insistently. Once envy found a place to take root, it grew like a weed until I verbalized to my wife, "Sometimes I wish I had pursued a path in life that would have allowed me to give more things to you and the kids!" What a noble way to say, "I'm envious!" The truth of my sinful envy was hidden behind a screen of supposed altruism.

Apparently envy was the temptation of the week for me, because it tried to make a comeback several times - in different disguises each time. My experience with this monster proved the wisdom of Proverbs 14:30- "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." (NIV) As long as I entertained envy and the chorus of discontentment, there was no rest for my mind!

Because envy is a hidden sin (at least, at first!) we tend not to take it seriously. The Bible takes envy very seriously and Paul includes envy in the same catalog of sins as "sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness." - Galatians 5. Wow! As I entertained that voice, I was standing in not so great company, wasn't I?

What's the problem with a little envy? What does it hurt to want what someone else has? James is to the point -- "For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice." (James 3:16, NIV) Remember Joseph, the favored son of Jacob? His father gave him a privileged place in the family and showered him with gifts. (Not too wise, but the subject for another TFTD!) Joseph older brothers envied him and, given the opportunity, sold their brother into slavery and lied to their father that Joseph was dead. That's the kind of thing envy can produce.

Envy is a shortcut to Misery Street. It will destroy a marriage, a family, a church; yes, our joy. The old phrase tells us that the 'grass is greener on the other side of the fence.' Envy colors our vision and we are unable to see the blessings that are ours.

What's the cure? Thankfulness, overflowing gratitude. The seductive song of envy is no match for the sweet melodies of praise. If I had answered the little voice that reminded me that I could not afford an expensive toy like that big boat with a song of praise for the grace of God which is mine in abundance, envy would have run away that day. Eventually I won the victory, by choosing to offer a sacrifice of praise. My 'thankful for' list became quite long in a short time! And my sanity returned!

Here's a word from the Word to take with you today, and to remember next time the envy monster whispers in your ear....
Then I realized how bitter I had become,
how pained I had been by all I had seen.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant—
I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.
23 Yet I still belong to you;
you are holding my right hand.
24 You will keep on guiding me with your counsel,
leading me to a glorious destiny.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on earth.
26 My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever.
-- Psalm 73:21-26 (NLT)

No comments: