Monday, May 02, 2005

Sharing the love of Jesus?

I recently read a provocative book by Brian McLaren called A Generous Orthodoxy, which is an invitation to Christians to think about the many ways that God touches our lives. The chapter on bringing Jesus to our world, but in a way that invites others with warm dialogue rather than condemnation, was especially winsome. A person who reads it too quickly might conclude that the author says that all religions are equal in truth and worthy of the same respect. He doesn't! McLaren makes a case that we who are followers of Christ must go beyond our 'religion' to take Christ Jesus' message of God's love and offer of life to all people without trying to export our culture besides. Tricky call, isn't it? So much of our practice of Christianity is co-mingled with Euro-American culture that many of us scarcely know the difference!

He tells a story, a true one, that is arresting. Go with us to post 9/11 Washington, DC, to a neighborhood of cultural diversity.
One day, Emma (the author's little daughter) saw a woman walking towards us covered in a veil and asked the inevitable, "What that, Mommy?"
"Emma," I answered, "that lady is a Muslim from a faraway place. She dresses like that- and covers her head with a veil - because she loves God, that is how her people show they love God."
Emma considered these words. She stared at the woman who past us, pointed at her, then pointed at my hair and further quizzed, "Mommy, do you love God?"
"Yes, honey," I laughed, "I do. You and I are Christians. Christian ladies show their love for God by going to church, by eating the bread and wine, by serving the poor, and by giving to those in need. We don't wear veils, but we love God."
After this, Emma took ever opportunity to point out Muslim women during our shopping trips and to tell me, "Mommy, look. She loves God."
One day we were getting out of our car at our driveway at the same time as our Pakistani neighbors. Emma saw the mother, beautifully veiled, and pointing at her, shouted, "Look, Mommy, she loves God!" My neighbor was surprised. I told her what I had taught Emma about Muslim ladies loving God. While she held back her tears, this near stranger hugged me, saying, "I wish all Americans would teach their children so. The world would be better. The world would be better."
-- A Generous Orthodoxy, pg. 266 quoting Broken We Kneel, Diana Butler (Jossey Bass, 2004)

What a bridge-builder! And learning to reach across those kind of cultural gaps is exactly what Paul was willing to do in order to earn the right to present Christ's message in many settings. He was so secure in his identity as a Christ-follower, he was able to meet people where they were. He writes, When I am with the Jews, I become one of them so that I can bring them to Christ. When I am with those who follow the Jewish laws, I do the same, even though I am not subject to the law, so that I can bring them to Christ. When I am with the Gentiles who do not have the Jewish law, I fit in with them as much as I can. In this way, I gain their confidence and bring them to Christ. But I do not discard the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are oppressed, I share their oppression so that I might bring them to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ. I do all this to spread the Good News, and in doing so I enjoy its blessings." (1 Corinthians 9:20-23, NLT)

Emma's mother wasn't endorsing Islam as a way of life when she taught her daughter to be respectful and to see the Muslim veil within the context of its use. That respect created an opening for Christ's love to bridge the gap between cultures. It takes great security in our relationship with Jesus to live in that way, a security found only in a deep intimacy with the Lord born of a revelation of His grace and love for us!

Some Believers feel the need to build a fence that divides the 'in' from the 'out' from the very first conversation. They insist that if we show respect or enter into dialogue with a person of no faith or of another religion, they might interpret our acceptance of their person as affirmation of their religion! Oh, how the Devil rejoices when we make that conclusion for this erroneous notion renders us largely silent as a messenger of Eternity's best news! There is a huge difference between accepting others and affirming what they do. Jesus ate at the table of sinners but he was quite confident that they wouldn't mistake His willingness to break bread with them as approval of the way they lived! Can we do less?

IF we are filled with the Spirit, the intangible reality of His Presence will spill out of us at those tables, compelling others to think deeply of value of following Jesus, too. May I encourage you to think about the way that you relate to the 'world' around you?

Are you hiding behind walls of separation, afraid of being contaminated by the filth that is real and prevalent out there? I understand that urge! Sometimes I want to run for the hills, too, and move into a Christian commune where never an unkind, filthy, or hateful word is heard. But, how can we fulfill our God-given function as 'salt and light' in this world if we are locked up in isolated communities?

Are you walking in the world, but careful to make certain that your 'Christian' persuasion is unmistakable, carrying a Bible prominently, pasting a fish symbol on your car, -- or whatever you've been taught? Check the motivation behind such displays. If there is even a hint of self-righteousness or self-preservation in all of that, stop it! Jesus wasn't too kind to some religious folk who wore their religion on their sleeve, so to speak. “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear extra long tassels on their robes." (Matthew 23:5, NLT)

Are you intentionally open, respectful, and ready to enter into the lives of others so that you might have the opportunity to bring Jesus' message to them in your actions and words? This requires that we are wise, filled to overflowing with genuine love, and completely secure in our own faith in Him. There is something undeniably attractive about that kind of Believer. Paul alludes to it when he says,"thanks be to God, who made us his captives and leads us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Good News like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing. To those who are perishing we are a fearful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?" (2 Corinthians 2:14-16, NLT)
_________________________________

Lover of my soul, this morning I am
feeling the wonder that You would love
someone as insignificant as I.

Let that love settle so deeply into my
heart and mind that I will become a
lover of others, deeply - compassionately.

Teach me how to bring your grace
to those who are hungering for You.
As I see and understand the world through their
mind and heart, help me to have the
words to convey Your hope and love to them.

Jesus Christ, hear my prayer.
Amen

No comments: