Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Spring Training, again!

Though you would never know it from where I am sitting in NW Jersey today, looking out at 8" of newly fallen snow; Major League Baseball's spring training is well underway. The pro's are at baseball fields in warmer climes working at getting getting their bats and gloves back into top form. These men, many of whom have spent years in the game, are being coached, working on their baseball skills- just like they did when they were rookies on an AA team. I was listening to one of them interviewed and he remarked about the aches and pains of the first few weeks of training, the result of coaxing their bodies into playing form again.
  • Do you take time for training, to better equip yourself for serving the Lord, to hone your skills at using the gifts and talents He's invested in you?
  • Have you though about what you might do to become a better Christian, a skilled member of God's team?

There are the basics -
daily intake of Scripture,
regular times of meditation when we listen for God's voice,
prayers for the needs of ourselves and others,
worship with other Believers.

These are like the calisthenics the baseball players do to get in shape. No matter their position or particular skill, all the players do the sit-ups, the crunches, the running that tones up their bodies. Likewise, Believers need to do the basics, no matter their calling or ministry. I've been a Believer for 40+ years and an employee of a church for all my adult life, and I still do the basics! Everyday I open the Bible to renew my mind with His wisdom. I spend time listening to Him, quieting my mind before Him. I pray and make the choice to get to church and to prayer group- even when I don't feel like it or when I'm 'on vacation.' Why? Because I think doing those things 'earns' me God's approval? No. Those are the fundamental exercises of the Christian life that help me 'stay in shape.'

There are specialized training times, too. We all, regardless of what we do in God's service, need refresher courses. American Christians are blessed with abundant resources for which we should thank God! No matter what you do in His name, it seems there are books, magazines, and conferences where you can take advantage of shared wisdom that will help to sharpen your skills and the way that you exercise your gifts. My hope is that you take what you do for God so seriously that you earnestly desire to be the BEST at it, for Christ's sake! I regularly search out books that help me evaluate how I am leading the congregation He's entrusted to my care, that help me deepen my understanding of the Scripture, and that coach me on the way I communicate with the people He's called me to teach. I attend conferences, from time to time, to gain new skills and sharpen old ones. Do you train yourself for service for His glory?

Then then are the coaches! At spring training camps, there are dozens of men who watch the players' every move. They check their swing, their stance, the way they field the ball... and then they offer advice that helps these pro's tweak their performance to the highest possible levels. Who coaches you in your Christian walk? I hope and pray that you have those that you trust and to whom you have given permission to speak both the positive and the negative so that you can become ALL that God has called you to be. I've surrounded myself with people that I trust and I seek their feedback. I love it when they take note of the home run, but cringe when one of my trusted coaches points out an area of sloppiness or poor service! All of it helps me be the best for the Master!

Read this passage slowly this morning and let it sink in- and then, won't you commit yourself to continual training in the Master's service?

  • Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body (discipline my body like an athlete- NLT ) and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. -- 1 Cor. 9:24-28 NIV

No comments: