Friday, March 11, 2005

Run to Win!

Ever hear anyone say, "Remember the first three laps of the Daytona 500?" I have not! But all the news is filled with detailed accounts of the last three laps! I seldom hear football fans discuss the first quarter, but every "Monday morning quarterback" knows how the last one played out. A good start is important, but a successful finish is what is remembered.

So, how are you doing? Did you start strong and fade along the way? In a presentation that is part of "The DreamGiver" series, Dr. Bruce Wilkinson, talks about pursuing the dream that God puts inside of each one of us. He observes that we go after the dream with stardust in our eyes, the dream dances and sparkles in front of us. We just "know" when we are finally able to do that thing, life will be perfect. And, often life is good, until the shine fades and we realize that maintaining that God-given dream is hard work! Wryly, he goes on to say, "If we had any idea how costly it would be to own that dream, most of us would quit before we started!"

When I was just 16, God set the dream of leading and teaching His people in me. "The Call" came to me a dramatic way! And I've been tremendously blessed in that I am living my dream and have for nearly 30 years! But, I've also discovered that the joy of sharing the Truth of the Word is accompanied by a lot of hard work. Occasionally someone remarks to me that they sure would like to have my job. "You have fun in that pulpit." Yes, I do! When I see God's people taking hold of His life-changing principles, I see Him smile and that's something to die for! There are moment when exhaustion takes over and I forgot the joy and I sometimes think about doing something else with my life. On those mornings I look at myself in the mirror and say, "What else would you do that would be nearly as fulfilling as what you're doing right now?" Sure there are hours of study, moments of misunderstanding, the pressure of living a semi-public life and being criticized by people who forget I'm a real person, not just a public role. That's, as they say, the price of the ride!

I want to finish well!
I want the last lap to be full of glory, whether that lap is run today, next year, or 35 years from now! You can almost hear the effort in Paul's voice as he writes, "I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. ... I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." Php 3:12-14 NLT

Jesus' last mile was the glorious one, but think of the cost. Mel Gibson captured it dramatically in "The Passion of the Christ" (which we will be showing here at the Assembly on Good Friday, at 8 PM). Jesus moved deliberately toward His destiny in the Father's plan. He choose the Cross and as a result is given the Glory! The Word urges us to remember that when we're wavering in the pursuit of the will of God. Keep "...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls." Heb 12:2-3 NKJV

It's not the start that holds the glory, it's the finish! Let's finish well!

No comments: