Friday, February 18, 2005

Words - well seasoned

I enjoy cooking, making dinner more than half the time in our home. It isn't a chore, because it is an opportunity to be a little creative. In the winter, soup is a favorite creation for me. The basics of soup are much the same but it is the seasonings that make the difference between a 'blah' soup and an 'aha' soup! Getting just the right amount of salt and other seasoning is critical. Too much and the flavor overwhelms; too little leaves you wondering - 'what's in this?'

In my Bible reading this morning, I was intrigued by the little phrase in the middle of the passage: "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one." (Colossians 4:5-6, NKJV)

As we are interacting with those around us, the Scripture urges us to 'salty' words! Meaning what? The way in which we speak should awaken an appetite in others for Christ as His grace and 'flavor' influences our daily conversation. Are your conversations flavored by the grace of God, filled with the salty truth of the Gospel, and making a noticeable difference in the 'soup' of life that surrounds you? This is the calling of the Believer! Jesus calls us the 'salt of the earth!'

Christians who are wise in the Spirit, who are aware of the needs, hopes, and dreams of those with whom they live and work, can make a big difference with just a little influence, a well-placed comment here and there.

But, don't over do it! I've ruined more than one pot of soup in my attempts to be creative. Tasting the mix I decide to add 'just a little more' salt or pepper or thyme.... and that extra pinch is too much. Christians sometimes try too hard to influence their world. They become obnoxious, trying to make everything into sermon, turning everything into a morality lesson.

Then, too, there are those who are so quiet about their faith in Jesus, they are without influence. They never speak up, never share their hope and faith, never take a stand. The soup of life of which they're part lacks the 'zing' that they could bring if they allowed themselves to be poured out.

A word of caution is in order. Watch your words, dear friend. They will have an influence- and not always the one you intend. This week a friend wrote an email to me about the way that I've spoken to him and about him on several occasions in a group of people. I thought my tossed off 'humorous' (to me!) remarks were funny. He didn't. He thought I was hostile and antagonistic. As I prayerfully reflected on his honest feedback, it became clear, once again, that I need to pay attention not only to what I'm saying, but how it's being heard. What is funny, gentle sarcasm to me can be a painful poke in the eye for someone else. In that situation, my salty words weren't like flavor in the soup, they were like salt in a wound!

Let me leave you with this thought. You need not be calculating in this matter! Rather, let Jesus and the Spirit of God fill you up. Then, the words that spill from you will be gracious, just the right kind of salt for the situation. Pray not to be clever or eloquent, but to be full of grace, truth, and love. And then your words will be, to borrow a phrase from Paul, "not ...persuasive words of wisdom, but (a) demonstration of the Spirit..." (1 Corinthians 2:4, ASV)
________________________________________

I hope you're already planning to be in corporate worship on Sunday.
At 6 PM on Sunday evening, the "Jeremiah People" -- a group of talented young musician/actors will be at the Assembly for a concert.
Be there and bring a friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your exhortation. I too have found myself using empty or foolish words and am always praying that God would set a guard over my mouth and keep watch over the door of my lips. I want all that I say to be salt and light to those around me. Thanks for the encouragement.