Thursday, February 10, 2005

Let Go, Let God

A subtle conceit creeps into our thinking when we start working with God to build His kingdom in this world- no matter what kind of service we perform. As soon as we feel even a little bit competent, we start to believe that it is our performance that produces results. Often without even realizing it, we shift our focus from 'I help God get His work done,' to 'God helps me get my work done.' If those sound like the same thing to you, I'd really encourage you to re-examine your whole approach to life!

Ben Patterson, pastor, has mentored me with his writing over the years, sharing authentically and transparently, his journey of faith and ministry. He recounts an incident from his life when his conceit was revealed to him.
  • "For 6 weeks I was totally out of commission. During that time I crossed a frontier in my prayer life... toward the end of my convalescence, I had a conversation with the Lord that went something like this: 'These times of prayer have been sweet. I've actually had time to pray for every single person in this congregation, every day. It's too bad I won't have time to do this when I get back to work.'

    The Lord's reply was quick and blunt. 'Stupid, you have the same 24 hours when you're well as when you are sick. The trouble with you, Ben, is that when you're well, you think you're in charge; when you're sick you know you're not.' " - Leadership, Winter, 2005

When I read that, it hit me like a punch in the gut! How often am I burnt out, disgusted, ill-tempered - not because God asks too much of me, but because I don't ask enough of Him! I come to believe that I am competent, in charge, and getting the work done. I, I, I -- Pride takes over and when pride governs, all kinds of ugly things happen to me, in me, and around me. Failing to seek God's ability, I become frustrated by my inabilities; yet, the Word reminds me of His sufficiency! In Psalm 127:1-2, I read:
Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep
. ( NKJV)

We need to know this: What ever callings and gifts we may have, they are of little use and less effect apart from the grace and power of God!

God called Moses, a failed prince and fugitive murderer, while he was living in exile, tending a flock of sheep. The LORD told him to go back to Egypt and to prepare the people to return to the Promised Land. It was a tough assignment!

  • How would he inspire a people enslaved by a powerful nation to leave behind the lives they had formed for centuries in the land of Egypt? Creating a new vision for a nation is a daunting challenge!
  • How would he get the Pharaoh to let the people go? There is no 'up side' for the king, no earthly reason for him to release his work force!

Moses demurs at first, but then relinquishes himself to the will of God, asking a question that intrigues me: "Who should I tell these people has sent me? What's your Name?" The LORD reveals His majesty saying, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ (Exodus 3:14, NKJV) The Self-Existent One, The One Without First Cause, commissioned Moses.

Today, friend, we are in the service of the great 'I AM.' We must not forget that. Oh, yes, He asks much of us; our very lives! He requires that we use the gifts He's given to us diligently, and that we press on to do His work and His will. BUT, He doesn't not leave us without resources, orphaned, or desperate. Jesus promised to be with us, by the Spirit, "day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, The Message)

How are you responding to God's call for your life, in your home, at your church, in your place of work? Are you trying to get Him to help you do your work, OR are you letting go of control and putting yourself at His disposal to do His work? The latter will lead to a sense of accomplishment and, in eternity, to a crown awaiting the faithful!
__________________________
Oh Lord You're Beautiful-- Green, Keith


Oh Lord, You're beautiful,
Your face is all I seek,
For when Your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

Oh Lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clear.
Replace the lamp of my first love,
That burns with holy fear.

I wanna take Your Word
And shine it all around.
First help me just to live it, Lord!
And when I'm doing well,
Help me to never seek a crown,
For my reward is giving glory to You.

© 1980 Birdwing Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) / BMG Songs, Inc. (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing; Admin. by BMG Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: