Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Real and Deep

 

A young woman texted me about an amazing opportunity in life, then she said this:  “Imposter syndrome is real!”  She had doubts about herself, nagged by thoughts that she was not good enough, that people might discover who she really is, that she had come to her position through luck.  I know those feelings, too.  But, I know her and those opportunities are not ‘luck’ nor has she made herself something she is not. She worked hard, is bright, and blessed. 

Truth is, however, the world is plagued by pretenders, by those who somehow manage to gain places of influence or leadership for which they are unprepared. And, we all suffer when we have to deal with an imposter!

Here's the direct question - are you a 'for real' Christian or an ‘imposter?’   Have you submitted your life to Christ in full surrender? Are you doing the work of discipleship that brings about an authentic change of heart and mind OR are you just pretending to be devout, trying hard to impress others in your church, or worse, thinking that you can somehow fool the Lord Himself? 

An imposter is merely an actor. He learns the words, copies behavior, and creates and image unmatched by an inner reality.  Think of the difference between actually being a physician who has put years and years into study and preparation and playing one in a movie!

If you have been wrongly taught, or even if you have arrived at the mistaken conclusion that you can just act your way to deep faith  let me point you to the liberating truth.  You need not be an imposter or feel like one. God makes people who come to Him in faith into genuine saints, the outer image and the inner reality match.

Peter teaches us that "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." (2 Peter 1:3-4, NIV)   Paul says “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is.” (Romans 12:2)

Becoming real and deep in the life of God starts with HIM, not us. Right now, where you are, I pray that this revelation will overtake your mind- God loves me!

God will not love you more if you are thinner, taller, smarter, admired by others, rich, or impeccably moral.  He loves YOU.  John was inspired to tell us  "God showed how much he loved us by sending his only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins." (1 John 4:9-10, NLT)

Jesus told a story to a group of religious leaders who knew all the right words but they were imposters, people who looked far better outside than they were inside. He said that there was a  man had two sons to whom he gave a direction. The first son waffled about compliance, actually refusing the order, but then changed his mind and did as he was told. The second son answered him, “Of course, right away,” but did nothing. 

Jesus finishes the story this way: “Which of the two did what his father wanted?” “The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him." (Matthew 21:31-32, NIV)  It was not  ‘good acting’ that mattered.  It was heart-felt obedience.

God made you a unique person with preparations to fill a place in this world that belongs exclusively to you.  Self-acceptance can be difficult. Looking in the mirror- physically and spiritually - reveals reality which isn't always pretty.  However if we face the facts, get real with God and ourselves, and respond to His offer of love with faith, He will begin to transform us. He offers us His Spirit to work on us but not just for a 'make-over' on the outside.

He creates real disciples, full of the Spirit, marked by a depth of character that no one can deny! This is called sanctification. That just a big word for 'becoming like Christ' through the school of the Spirit! There will be blunders along the way, but - if we are committed to Him and to being authentic- we can be sure that His promise - "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17, NKJV)- will be true!

Before you hurry on your way, take a few moments to meditate prayerfully on Peter’s challenge to faith, our word from the Word. "Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And because God raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory, your faith and hope can be placed confidently in God. Now you can have sincere love for each other as brothers and sisters because you were cleansed from your sins when you accepted the truth of the Good News. So see to it that you really do love each other intensely with all your hearts. For you have been born again. Your new life did not come from your earthly parents because the life they gave you will end in death. But this new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God." (1 Peter 1:21-23, NLT)

Get real – with God, with yourself, and discover the amazing person He created you to be.

Click here for a video version of CoffeeBreak

____________

Since Jesus Came Into My Heart

What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought
Since Jesus came into my heart
I have light in my soul for which long I had sought
Since Jesus came into my heart

Since Jesus came into my heart
Since Jesus came into my heart
Floods of joy o'er my soul
Like the sea billows roll
Since Jesus came into my heart
 

I have ceased from my wand'ring and going astray
Since Jesus came into my heart
And my sins which were many are all washed away
Since Jesus came into my heart

I'm possessed of a hope that is steadfast and sure
Since Jesus came into my heart
And no dark clouds of doubt now my pathway obscure
Since Jesus came into my heart
 

There's a light in the valley of death now for me
Since Jesus came into my heart
And the gates of the city beyond I can see
Since Jesus came into my heart

I shall go there to dwell in that city I know
Since Jesus came into my heart
And I'm happy so happy as onward I go
Since Jesus came into my heart

 

Charles Hutchinson Gabriel | Rufus H. McDaniel

  • © Words: Public Domain

 

 

No comments: