Thursday, June 11, 2020

The truth, you say?


Anybody else struggling with ‘the truth’ these days? A long time ago I was required to read 1984, George Orwell’s novel about the rise of dystopian society. Seems to me, I’m now living in it? Orwell envisioned a world where truth became whatever those in power declared it to be, where the present was detached from the past. 

America has devolved into a society where image is more powerful than reality, where propaganda is favored over the truth, where an attempted conversation of inquiry is disallowed because certain thoughts are simply unspeakable. Navigating the mine fields exhausts me. How about you?

The Scripture teaches me about Truth, absolute and unchangeable, a solid foundation for life.  It is not truth about political theory or public policies though the Bible certainly can and should inform the way that I think about those things.  The Truth teaches me why I exist, what gives my life purpose, and my destiny.  The cornerstone on which my life rests is Jesus Christ, God come to us, to be Savior, Lord, and Hope. The difficulty starts for me (for you?) when we move beyond that into the less defined areas of thought.  

Early in the journey the questions tempted me to discard faith. But, God was persistent. He revealed Himself to me in the created world, through the love of wonderful Spirit-filled people, by inner the work of the Spirit, and through the Holy Scripture. Desiring Truth did not require me to have an answer for all questions. I learned it was just fine to say, “I do not know.”  I also learned to live with mystery – with the fact that God and Truth were never meant to fit entirely inside of my head. Some things He choose to let me comprehend, some He asks me to discover with careful study, and some remain in the ‘to be continued’ category.

While living through this cultural earthquake, I go – again and again – to my foundation of my life: 
In Christ, I am God’s child.
In Christ, I am secure.
In Christ, I have eternal life.  
That is not just doctrine. The Truth must shape my words, thoughts, and actions. Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32, NIV)  That is not an excuse for laziness. It does not give me or you a reason to retreat into safe places surrounded only by people who think exactly as we do. But, He will keep us from fear, anger, and hatred which grow so easily in troubled times.

When I am at rest in Him, His Spirit gives me the ability to persevere through the tempests raging.  Do I do it perfectly?  No. I repent when I grow angry. I confess when I am driven by fear. I pray for patience, steadiness, and the ability to hear beyond the words. Above all, I renew my commitment to Him, daily.  As His disciple, of paramount importance is love and faithfulness that honors Him.  Paul, speaking to a church torn by conflict, gave this inspired instruction. "You were getting along so well. Who has interfered with you to hold you back from following the truth? It certainly isn’t God, for he is the one who called you to freedom. … —not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, but freedom to serve one another in love. … So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict." (Galatians 5:16-17, NLT)  Let us make it our prayer to live in a way that reveals His life in us.

Here’s Truth to live by today. Meditate on it and take the deep assurance offered by the Word with you into a world full of uncertainty.
"Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people both now and forevermore. …
"Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, to those who are upright in heart."
(Psalm 125:1-2, 4, NIV)
______________

(A great song that points us to real faith in the Builder)

Worthy of ev’ry song we could ever sing
Worthy of all the praise we could ever bring
Worthy of ev’ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You

Jesus the name above ev’ry other name
Jesus the only one who could ever save
Worthy of ev’ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You
We live for You

Holy there is no one like You
There is none besides You
Open up my eyes in wonder and show me who You are
And fill me with Your heart
And lead me in Your love to those around me

I will build my life upon Your love
It is a firm foundation
I will put my trust in You alone
And I will not be shaken

Brett Younker | Karl Martin | Kirby Elizabeth Kaple | Matt Redman | Pat Barrett
© 2016 Martin, Karl Andrew (Admin. by Arkyard Music Services Limited)
Kaple Music (Admin. by Bethel Music Publishing)
Bethel Music Publishing
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: