Friday, February 13, 2015

Be A GREAT Lover!



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  It’s a day to celebrate love and blessed, indeed, are those who know the joy of loving and being loved. Nothing in this world feeds the soul more than love. I’m not referring to the stuff that most of Valentine’s Day will be about, either.  The love that gives life says “you are a person of great worth to me”  in multiple ways; serving, affirmation, support, just to name a few. There will be multiple motivating factors for gifts of chocolates, roses, or jewelry tomorrow.  Some will be 'pay-offs. '  Some will be given in the hope of winning an advantage.  Sad to say, many roses will be sent by dutiful husbands just because 'it's the right thing to do.'

But, I am not such a cynic that I cannot appreciate that many, many gifts and cards will be exchanged with the heart-felt desire to communicate to the other person – “I love you” – and to bring them joy.

Part fact, part legend, I’m sure;  the story goes like this. Valentine was a third century Christian priest who believed strongly in marriage at a time when there was much immorality.  The Roman emperor forbade young men to marry, believing that an unmarried man made a better soldier for the empire. Valentine resisted this  injustice and conducted marriages in secret. He was caught and eventually executed in the most gruesome manner, but legend has it that he sent notes from prison encouraging love which he signed, ‘from your Valentine.’  True or not, we need that kind of bold love in our world, don’t we?

Valentine's Day is not just for romance!   Take the opportunity to write a note of appreciation to somebody who has loved you this year.  It might sound crazy to you, but how about a note in the spirit of St. Valentine to your kid’s coach, neighbor whose gone beyond the call of duty, friend who has stood with you through a rough time that affirms their worth and lets them know you love them.
I pray that Christ will make me a man who loves;  purely, wholly, and selflessly.  Jesus was not ashamed to tell a room full of men, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." (John 15:9-14, NIV)  My desire that my words and actions will make love a reality for many, with the hope that ultimately they will see the Great Lover and be healed!

Christian love is much, much more than sending a card or buying some flowers.  It is a deeply other-focused way of life that actively attempts to serve, to care, to be involved.  Those who love enrich others and are made richer. When we love in a Spirit-inspired way, people will take note and Jesus said the quality of our love will be THE mark that we belong to Him.

Meditate on this today - "This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.” (John 13:35, The Message)
______________

Father, I sing about your love,
receive the benefit of your love, and
often am almost completely unaware of how
blessed I am to be loved so wonderfully.
I worship You for the gift of Jesus Christ,
a gift of love that changed me forever.

Spirit of God, work in me today -
deeply, profoundly,
causing me to love others,
the unlovely as well as those who love me.
Lead me to people who need
to know of their worth in Your sight and
teach me how to pour out what
You have poured into me.

In this, may Jesus Christ be honored,
glorified, and receive all the praise.
Amen."

No comments: