Monday, October 29, 2012

Speaking to my own soul


 
 
My emotions were fired up. The day was one of peaks and valleys, exhilaration and anxiety, all mixed into one potentially intoxicating brew. I could feel the tension rising and knew it was time to speak to myself. No, I am not mentally unbalanced! I have learned from experience that when emotions are running high, it is appropriate to remind myself Who is God, of His eternal promises, and of the calling to live as His child.  Remember Jesus' disciples who were in a boat with Him as a storm rose on the Sea of Galilee?  They gave in to fear and soon were accusing Him of not caring for them! Graciously, He stood and quieted the storm and then He "reprimanded the disciples: "Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?"
(Mark 4:40, The Message) 


Panic will run wild through the corridors of our minds if we give fear unrestricted access. Anger will become a roaring blaze of rage if we do not restrain it. Desire will turn rapidly to all-consuming lust, greed, or gluttony if we do not learn how to invite the Spirit to rule in us. So, David teaches us by example when he talks to himself! He says, "Praise the Lord, I tell myself, and never forget the good things he does for me." (Psalm 103:2, NLT)

One of the great myths of our time is that every thought must be spoken, every feeling explored, every desire fulfilled. Self-discipline is despised, even demeaned. The result is that too many fully grown adults are still throwing tantrums, living irresponsibly, and expecting others to indulge them while they whine and cry about their lot in life. Sadly, they are often completely unaware of the deepening chaos they are creating because they will not speak to their own soul with the voice of reason and in the power of God's Spirit.

Those who are Spirit-filled Christians are freed from the control of the sinful nature, released to be godly and whole people who live as overcomers in the middle of temptation. They do not gain this victory by ignoring the inner tumult, by denying negative emotions, or repressing unpleasant feelings. They know what they feel, but they also know that God gives a gift of a will, empowered by His Spirit! We can fully acknowledge our emotions without letting them take control. Jeremiah, called 'the weeping prophet,' faced calamity and felt the crushing weight of sorrow. His example is powerful. "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD." I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:18-23, NIV)

John reminds that the Spirit of God is 'greater than the spirit that lives in the world.' (1 John 4:4) So, step up Christian to the challenge. Pray for maturity. Let the Spirit help you to be self-controlled and alert so you do not fall prey to the schemes of evil. (1 Peter 5:8)

Here's a word from the Word. Meditate on it and let the peace of God rule. "I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." (Psalm 16:2-5, NIV)

Let My Words Be Few

You are God in heaven
And here am I on earth,
So I'll let my words be few.
Jesus, I am so in love with You.

And I'll stand in awe of You.
Yes, I'll stand in awe of You;
And I'll let my words be few.
Jesus. I am so in love with You.

Beth Redman | Matt Redman
© 2000 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: