Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Do You Worship Worry?

A year ago, the church I serve as a Pastor was experiencing a difficult time financially. I dreaded the monthly meetings with the Leadership Team when I had to bring reports that showed we were consistently running in the red. We knew some of the reasons that our income was down. We had added an additional staff member a year prior, anticipating growth to help us meet the expense, growth that did not occur when we expected. I began to experience real worry and it increased over time. I thought about the church's finances all of the time. Every decision I made as a Pastor was colored by the financial implications involved. Every time of prayer seemed to end with worried pleas for God's provision.

Around February of this year, the Lord helped me to see that I was actually worshipping worry! If worship is defined by what we give most attention to, what we spend the greater part of our time and energy on, then worry had become my god! In His great faithfulness, He helped me to see the faithlessness of my prayers. Isn't that a contradiction- 'faithless prayers?' I was praying faithfully, but focusing on my perception of need rather than His promise of provision. Instead of deepening my assurance, which true prayer will do; my misfocused prayers were actually increasing my anxiety. The counsel of friends and the wisdom of the Word brought a corrective and I intentionally changed my focus to thankfulness. That did not mean ignoring the reality of the need. However, I began to look beyond the need to the One who promises that He will resource us to fulfill His call. Instead of worshipping worry, I offered my praise to Him - and we have seen His ongoing provision.

In the book of 2nd Chronicles, which tells us about the times of the kings of Judah, there is an account that should encourage us to pray with praise, not with worry. The chapter opens with this assessment of the real threat. "Some time later the Moabites and Ammonites, accompanied by Meunites, joined forces to make war on Jehoshaphat. Jehoshaphat received this intelligence report: "A huge force is on its way from beyond the Dead Sea to fight you. There’s no time to waste—they’re already at Hazazon Tamar, the oasis of En Gedi." (2 Chronicles 20:1-2, The Message) The king brought together the leaders of his kingdom for a prayer meeting, but the focus of their prayers initially was on their powerlessness! Then a prophet of the Lord redirected their prayers with this cry, "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s." (2 Chronicles 20:15, NIV)

Jehoshaphat's response is simply astonishing. When he sent his armies off to war, look what he did. "Early the next morning the army of Judah went out into the wilderness of Tekoa. On the way Jehoshaphat stopped and said, "Listen to me, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Believe in the Lord your God, and you will be able to stand firm. Believe in his prophets, and you will succeed." After consulting the people, the king appointed singers to walk ahead of the army, singing to the Lord and praising him for his holy splendor. This is what they sang: "Give thanks to the Lord; his faithful love endures forever!" (2 Chronicles 20:20-21, NLT)

It's praise-time, disciple. On this pivotal day in America, don't worship worry over the future. Instead, praise the sovereign Lord who stands Eternally over the affairs of humanity. Whatever your need may be today, present it to the Lord, as you focus on His majesty, His love, His purposes. Send out the singers, in front of the army, and God will make a way for you.
_______________

The splendor of the King, clothed in majesty;
Let all the earth rejoice, let all the earth rejoice!
He wraps Himself in light and darkness tries to hide,
It trembles at His voice, it trembles at His voice.

Age to age He stands and time is in His hands,
Beginning and the End, Beginning and the End!
The Godhead, three in one, Father, Spirit, Son;
The Lion and the Lamb, the Lion and the Lamb!

How great is our God!!
Sing with me - how great is our God!!
And all will see how great,
how great is our God!!

Name above all names!!
Worthy of all praise!!
My heart will sing,
"How great is our God!!"

How Great is our God
Chris Tomlin © 2004 worshiptogether.com CCLI License No. 810055

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At a time in my life when I'm realizing more and more that it's not I who accomplishes anything but HIM, this is a wonderful affirmation. Thank you.