Monday, November 05, 2007

When You're Weak, He is Strong!

Unlike most Sundays, I was not really all that eager to speak yesterday, and that's a problem for a preacher! There was the stress of dealing with some internal problems with one of our ministries during the week, which distracted from preparation time. And, on Sunday morning I was not feeling well - dealing with a cold, fatigue, and aches of flu-like symptoms. So, I went to the pulpit yesterday knowing I was 'weak.' I prayed that I would present His Word in an honorable way. Then, about 5 minutes into my sermon, my computer locked, meaning that I didn't have my PowerPoint display. Now, that might seem like a small thing (and it is, I suppose) but I use those notes to keep me on track while I speak. So, as we walked up the aisle to greet people at the door, I whispered to my wife, Bev, "I sure did a lousy job today!" To me, it seemed that I had fumbled the wonderful Truth of the Word. Then, on Sunday evening, I received this email- "I just wanted to say thank you for your message today. I know that you were not feeling well, but you let God use you to give a message that I feel was just for me. Thank you for you serving spirit." Never count yourself out, for God is at work even when you're sick and tired!

Paul, the apostle, was privileged to receive great revelations in the Spirit. Pride is so common and such a detriment to effectiveness in God's work. So, to keep him humble and prayerful, God allowed him to have an ongoing weakness, the nature of which we can only guess at today. But the 'why' of that weakness is perfectly clear! Take a look. "... to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, NLT)

What a paradox! At the point of our weakness, God finds an opening to show us how dependent we are on the power of the Spirit and to show the world how strong He is at work in and through us. Now, it is true that the Enemy attempts to exploit those weaknesses, too! But, if we acknowledge them and present them to the Lord instead of trying to hide them or put a spin on them to make them look good, He can use our very weaknesses for the display of His glory! He is often revealed in our lives not because of what we consider our strength, but in spite of what we think is our weakness. Even our sin becomes an opportunity for the amazing grace of Christ to be displayed. You think I'm making that up? It's the Bible truth. "The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 5:20-21, NIV)

None of the above should be misconstrued as an endorsement of courting failure, allowing poor preparation, or flagrantly breaking God's law! It is foolishness and presumption on the grace and goodness of God to say, "Well, God I didn't spend time preparing myself for my service or work today so bless my 'weakness' and show your power!" He may well let you fall flat on your face, and perhaps He ought to! We must never think that we can 'sin and grin,' mistakenly thinking that His grace gives us permission to live sinfully and yet enjoy immunity to the consequences of our actions. Indeed the Word says, "Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Of course not! " (Romans 6:1-2, NLT)

There is plenty of weakness in me even on my best days, even when I've diligently done all that I can do. The Lord expects diligence and discipline in my life. But, He also knows the flaws in my fallen nature that make me prone to sin, to weakness. When I am truly weakened by sin, by the actions of others, by a surprise attack of the World, the Flesh, or the Devil- I can rest in His promise that at the very point of my weakness, God's power will be released.

Feeling spiritually weak today?
Battered by circumstances that you can't control?
Overwhelmed by the need around you?
Fighting what looks like a losing war with temptation?

Take this passage to heart and thank God for His Mighty Power which finds a way into your life right at the point of your weakness!

"It started when God said, "Light up the darkness!"
and our lives filled up with light as we saw and understood God in the face of Christ, all bright and beautiful. If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness. We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That’s to prevent anyone from confusing God’s incomparable power with us. As it is, there’s not much chance of that.
You know for yourselves that we’re not much to look at. "
(2 Corinthians 4:6-8, The Message)
_______________________________

I sing the mighty power of God,
That made the mountains rise;
That spread the flowin' seas abroad,
And build the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained
The sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command,
And all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord,
That filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His word,
And then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed,
Where'er I turn my eye;
If I survey the ground I tread,
Or gaze upon the sky.

There's not a plant or flow'r below
But makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise and tempests blow,
By order from Thy throne.
While all that borrows life from Thee
Is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that man can be,
Thou, God, art present there.

I Sing the Mighty Power, Isaac Watts© Public Domain

No comments: